Net approaches address exhaustion

Started by gnubler, February 06, 2011, 06:26:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gnubler

The last blocks were handed out yesterday and are expected to be depleted by September. The end of the internet, at last!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-12306573
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

frailer

I've noticed that there's mention of IPv6 in OSX's setup for some years. Joe, Matt, farabomb or someone may know whether, from an OSX user's point of view, it's just lurking under the hood, or they'll have to actually add code.   :undecided:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

gnubler

I don't fully understand what this really means. I imagine all the browsers will have to be updated to support both types of technology - or what? I was pretty happy with the internet the way it was in 1998, with AOL dialup and tons of animated GIFs. Why do things have to change?
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

frailer

Quote from: gnubler on February 06, 2011, 06:59:28 PMI don't fully understand what this really means. I imagine all the browsers will have to be updated to support both types of technology - or what? I was pretty happy with the internet the way it was in 1998, with AOL dialup and tons of animated GIFs. Why do things have to change?

Not sure, but Mark Zukerberg may have some idea.   :undecided:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

gnubler

I was being sarcastic, but...

...why did you say that?

Joe

Normal users will probably not even notice the changeover from ipv4 to ipv6. System Admins will be doing all of the work.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

frailer

Quote from: gnubler on February 06, 2011, 07:50:48 PMI was being sarcastic, but...

...why did you say that?

Facetiousness follows sarcasm.  I guess.   :shrug:

gnubler

Quote from: Joe on February 06, 2011, 07:56:07 PMNormal users will probably not even notice the changeover from ipv4 to ipv6. System Admins will be doing all of the work.

...and will likely be a big treat for admins worldwide.  :sarcasm:

All we have to do is point and click.

Farabomb

Quote from: Joe on February 06, 2011, 07:56:07 PMNormal users will probably not even notice the changeover from ipv4 to ipv6. System Admins will be doing all of the work.

This.

And people wonder why I moved away from sysadmin work shortly after I got out of school. At least in prepress when you save the day someone might say thinks or get lunch. Nobody likes the IT geeks.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

gnubler

KappAdv

Quote from: Farabomb on February 07, 2011, 09:57:58 AM

This.

And people wonder why I moved away from sysadmin work shortly after I got out of school. At least in prepress when you save the day someone might say thinks or get lunch. Nobody likes the IT geeks.

Yeah thanks.  Now I have to learn a whole new way of doing things.  IPv4 had over 4 billion unique addresses by switching to IPv6 it is now 340,282,366,920,938,463,463,374,607,431,768,211,456.  That's a lot of numbers and new configuring for DNS, subnetting and routing.

tapdn

usually fried mate - sometimes pickled - often scrambled - never beaten
~ Sir B. Monsteaure
No, he's well within his rights to diss cake. Pie, on the other hand, is waaaayyyy off limits.
~Youston
I'm just a stupid printer WTF do I know
~Farabomb

Joe

Quote from: KappAdv on February 07, 2011, 10:11:07 AM

This.

Yeah thanks.  Now I have to learn a whole new way of doing things.  IPv4 had over 4 billion unique addresses by switching to IPv6 it is now 340,282,366,920,938,463,463,374,607,431,768,211,456.  That's a lot of numbers and new configuring for DNS, subnetting and routing.

You can still leave your internal network on ipv4...unless you have over 4 billion computers in your network.

You just need to change the router to connect via ipv6 instead of ipv4. (I think)
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Farabomb

Quote from: Joe on February 07, 2011, 10:23:49 AM
Quote from: KappAdv on February 07, 2011, 10:11:07 AM

This.

You can still leave your internal network on ipv4...unless you have over 4 billion computers in your network.

You just need to change the router to connect via ipv6 instead of ipv4. (I think)

My new netgear is already set up to do that... now just have to get internet at the house. My netbook only will connect ipv4 right now. Wonder if Verizon will try and bone me again and force a upgrade on something a year old.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

mattbeals

Most devices made in the last 10 year are already IPv6 ready. Running IPv6 and IPv4 may be problematic for a while. This weekend i think I am going to move my internal network to IPv6 so it's all ready when Comcast get's around to it.

The last of the /8 blocks went out the regional authorities last week. There is still quite a large bit of addresses available for multi-casts. But getting them to be available to the public is not going to happen. Too many devices know that the range is reserved. There are also quite a few /8 netblock owners who have 16.7 million assigned addresses but will never use them all. The case could be made to them to relinquish unused addresses. But the case could also be made by the owners that there is now a market for IPv4 addresses that they could rent out or sell.

At any rate, there are some 80 million + IPv4 addresses still available since the last 5 /8's have been distributed to the regional authorities. It will be at least 2012 before they are actually exhausted. If you have at least XP or Mac OS X 10.2 then you're ready to go.
Matt Beals

Everything I say is my own personal opinion and has nothing to do with my employer or their views.