USB Wireless adaptor

Started by beck, February 28, 2011, 12:21:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

Yeah, I was wondering why you hadn't. So if you go with the cheapie make sure they have Mac drivers. Worthless (on the Mac) without them.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

beck

I'll be sure to let you guys know how it works... or doesn't.

Thanks.

beck
Nevertheless....beck has hit the proverbial nail on the head.
Joe

beck

It's not.

Got it installed, got the drivers with it.  Installed everything.  The Control Panel for the Adaptor says I'm connected to our wireless network... almost full strength.

Whenever I launch either Firefox or Safari, I get the "Not connected to the Internet".

What am I missing?

beck
Joe

DigiCorn

Check your ip addresses, make sure the router ip is correct and add dns if you know them.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

beck

I know the USB adaptor was assigned an IP address.

Shouldn't the browsers pick that up themselves?
Joe

Joe

In network preferences move your Airport connection to the top of the list as shown in attached images. And you might as well go ahead and deactivate the ethernet port since you aren't using it. Then make sure your airport is set up so it can see your wireless connection and connect to it.

beck

Joe,

You remember I'm using that USB Adaptor, NOT an actual Airport card, right?
Joe

Joe

Oh yeah, I've slept since this was originally posted. Does the USB adapter show up in that list? I think it should. If so drag it to the top of the list.

beck

Yeah, it does show up.

I didn't know about the list order being that important.

Thanks for your help.  I'll give it a shot this weekend.

Happy B-Day again.

beck
Joe

beck

Didn't work, Joe.  I've attached screenshots.

I'm running 10.4.11, if that matters.

beck
Joe

Joe

So Ethernet Adapter (en1) is your wireless adapter in the G5. Do you have DHCP enabled on your router? Is that wireless utility showing the strength of signal for the router or for the G5 USB wireless adapter. Also do you have security enabled for the wireless connection in the router? You should be able to configure/check the router wireless settings in your web browser using the address 192.168.1.1 in the browser.

Joe

Oh, beck...

Enter your router number of 192.168.1.1 as your DNS server as well. I think that is the problem as you do not have any DNS server listed. See attached.

beck

Quote from: Joe on March 11, 2011, 03:47:18 PMSo Ethernet Adapter (en1) is your wireless adapter in the G5. Do you have DHCP enabled on your router? Is that wireless utility showing the strength of signal for the router or for the G5 USB wireless adapter. Also do you have security enabled for the wireless connection in the router? You should be able to configure/check the router wireless settings in your web browser using the address 192.168.1.1 in the browser.
Not sure about the router.  It's my daughter's she's not home yet, she's got the password.

It's for the G5 USB wireless adapter

Also do you have security enabled for the wireless connection in the router?   If you mean do I need a password to connect, yes.

I also tried the DNS server address (in your next post) - that didn't work.
Joe

Joe

Leave that 192.168.1.1 in the DNS server field. I can guarantee it won't work without it but there must be something else. Click on the WPS tab in the wireless utility and post a screen shot of it.

beck

Quote from: Joe on March 11, 2011, 04:09:26 PMLeave that 192.168.1.1 in the DNS server field. I can guarantee it won't work without it but there must be something else. Click on the WPS tab in the wireless utility and post a screen shot of it.
Here you go.
Joe