The need for press checks?

Started by Laurens, May 10, 2011, 04:09:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laurens

I recently ran into a former colleague who became production manager at a publisher of fine art books. One of his main tasks was doing press checks for such publications. He told me the company had been acquired some time ago and that the new owners didn't think press checks were that important. I guess that is a trend as I've heard this from others as well. Out of curiosity I've put a poll about this on prepressure.com. Any thoughts on this? Is there a decline? Is it justified?
Having fun writing about prepress & printing for my Prepressure site

Joe

I think it depends entirely on the type of work. Having said that I would think if you are printing "fine art books" I would expect a press check.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

t-pat

my old company has so many press checks they built a luxury customer suite in the shop, complete with 1 bedroom, a full kitchen and bath, granite tops, marble, fine woods, the whole shebang.

When you're sourcing a couple hundred million pieces of anything it's worth it to have someone there representing your interests.
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

gnubler

We only print garbage. No press checks.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Sabrina The Turd Polisher

Selected items get a press check.
Ambidextrous, Double-jointed Prepress Slave
We all have issues. The only people that don't are the dead ones. ©2011 Joe  |  doomed ©2011 david

frailer

Once in a blue moon here, if that. I use extra deodorant those days, in case they come into pp.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

mattbeals

For most purposes I think that press checks are an exercise in vanity. But having said that there are situations where a press check is a good idea. If nothing else as a meet and greet to reinforce a relationship. A "good will tour" if you will. For color critical, volume, complex projects, etc. they can be invaluable if conducted well by the company *AND* the person conducting the press check. There needs to be a good business case for a press check.
Matt Beals

Everything I say is my own personal opinion and has nothing to do with my employer or their views.

gtrev

Press checks can be a bit of fun when the booze addled press operator has some 18 year old designer - fresh out of school asking him to bump colours! - love watching a press operator's buttons being pushed!

Oh... one caveat on that - if it's an attractive young thing doing the press check nothings too much trouble!
What proof?

frailer

Quote from: gtrev on May 10, 2011, 07:37:41 PMPress checks can be a bit of fun when the booze addled press operator has some 18 year old designer - fresh out of school asking him to bump colours! - love watching a press operator's buttons being pushed!

Oh... one caveat on that - if it's an attractive young thing doing the press check nothings too much trouble!

:laugh:    :laugh:   Hahaha... true on all counts.  Seen it happen.    :evil:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Joe

Quote from: frailer on May 10, 2011, 08:01:14 PM
Quote from: gtrev on May 10, 2011, 07:37:41 PMPress checks can be a bit of fun when the booze addled press operator has some 18 year old designer - fresh out of school asking him to bump colours! - love watching a press operator's buttons being pushed!

We have a thing around here that if you need to find out any info from the pressmen just wear a skirt out there.  :undecided:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

gnubler

Quote from: gtrev on May 10, 2011, 07:37:41 PMbooze addled press operator

Redundant adjective there.  :laugh:
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Sabrina The Turd Polisher

Quote from: Joe on May 10, 2011, 08:28:39 PM
Quote from: frailer on May 10, 2011, 08:01:14 PM

We have a thing around here that if you need to find out any info from the pressmen just wear a skirt out there.  :undecided:
I know from experience...
Ambidextrous, Double-jointed Prepress Slave
We all have issues. The only people that don't are the dead ones. ©2011 Joe  |  doomed ©2011 david

G_Town

Quote from: mattbeals on May 10, 2011, 07:03:57 PMFor most purposes I think that press checks are an exercise in vanity. But having said that there are situations where a press check is a good idea. If nothing else as a meet and greet to reinforce a relationship. A "good will tour" if you will. For color critical, volume, complex projects, etc. they can be invaluable if conducted well by the company *AND* the person conducting the press check. There needs to be a good business case for a press check.

So vanity dictates press checks?

So who puts on the make up and takes it in the rear when the customer rejects a job?

That imagery aside we do about 2 or 3 a week, typically new work or work that has had color issues in the past.

Farabomb

We do a few here and rarely are there issues. The smart designers may learn something watching a press check and a smart owner will learn about the customer.

and yes a pretty cute mediocre doesn't look like a bag of smashed ass woman normally is given a lot more forgiveness by the pressmen.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

t-pat

It helps to get the person doing the press check drunk. The old place has a 4 am bar literally 15 feet away, with cute juggy bartenders. "Makeready is taking a long time, let's go next door for a minute" says the sales slime - then the press check goes very smoothly.
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait