xx
Mojave (and Acrobat DC)
by Joe
October 09, 2018, 04:51:24 PM

xx
Export PDF reverse pages?
by wonderings
October 09, 2018, 01:08:09 PM

Topic: Imposing 4 separate pdf's into a template (Read 4735 times) previous topic - next topic

Imposing 4 separate pdf's into a template

Just wondering if anyone has faced this challenge:

We're going to be getting pdf's in large numbers... we'd like to be able to automate 4 at a time into a template ie. 1,2,3,4 backed up properly. They will not be 4 page pdf's but separate ones. We'd also like to make this available on a PC or MAC upstairs and a PC downstairs. One guy we deal with says this doesn't exist, that all impo needs 4 pages together to work. We don't have time to do it all in preps (training etc) right now.

If this type of thing doesn't exitst, here is a market for someone to write a program and make a lot of cash!! It's way over our heads!

Re: Imposing 4 separate pdf's into a template

Reply #1
A script to run a batch for joining single PDFs into one? Not sure if it would get the page order right, depending on what their files names are.

:huh:
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Reply #2
yeah, it's doable, but as the gnub pointed out, names is the key.
The last time I used preps (about 20 something years ago), you could do auto imposing, but the page files had to have a certain naming convention.
Even with my Esko imposition software, it's pretty much the same.
Prepress guy - doin' jobs one at a time

Reply #3
If you have all the pdfs, why not just use the 'combine' feature, and then order the list to make one pdf, then impo normally?
"I'm not addicted to cocaine. I just like the way it smells."
– Richard Pryor

“Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Reply #4

If you have all the pdfs, why not just use the 'combine' feature, and then order the list to make one pdf, then impo normally?

I think he wants to automate something. Like drop 4 PDFs into a hot folder and have Acrobat combine them into one, in the right order.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Reply #5
We can do this with Enfocus Switch and Quite Hot Imposing. Or you can manually combine them and use Quite Hot Imposing. Neither are "cheap"/free but we do it all the time.
Matt Beals

Everything I say is my own personal opinion and has nothing to do with my employer or their views.

Reply #6
quite imposing will do it, that 5th page would have to be in the right spot for backup
assuming 1-4 are the fronts but you can shuffle if not. I have an older version of quite imposing
so the newer one might even have more features. I would check it out, it is costly but worth it.
Preps would be a quick way to go, but I don't output pdfs from preps myself except for dies.

Reply #7
Am guessing Quite Imposing would be a small fraction of the cost of most other high end imposition apps. Hundreds, rather than thousands.
Fujifilm XMF/AdobeCC/PitStop Pro/Black Magic/ScreenPlateRite_Fujifilm ZP processless. 28" Komoris  |  Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Too old for this.. but.. there's that question of income. And lack of it if I stop.
~~~~~~

Reply #8
Back in my Quark 3.x glory days we used to do automated imposition with Quark using a little Mac application called QuicKeys. You could program it via common mac commands and macros to do about anything. It was pretty slick.

QuicKeys 4 for Mac

$60.00
Mac OS 10.12 Sierra | Prinergy 7.5 | Adobe Creative Cloud 2017 | Two Luscher XPose 160 CTP units

Prepress: One who does precision guess work based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

Reply #9
oooh, another possibility is in adobe' pdf multi page import for indesign
if you could get the pdf into 4 seperate pdfs in the order needed-
you could import the pdf 4 times in the position needed.

Reply #10
You really need to define "automate".  Do you  mean selecting 4 PDF files, pressing a hot key and whamo - a merged file in a predetermined location and file name?  Since you're manually selecting the files, there is no automation in that. 

With a program called Batch PDF Merger, you can simply drag the files into a window, rearrange them and bam - a single PDF File in seconds.  Much faster than Acrobat.  I think they now have a Mac version.

Reply #11
we ended up just doing it in Acrobat..... it's working ok so it's not a big deal to automate it any further for the time being.