Holographic Printing

Started by David, September 06, 2011, 10:51:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David

Trying to find out the "how to"
Lot's of info on the nets, but none as far as the actual process...

is it done offset?
flexo?
on plastic?
cmyk or?

thanks in advance!
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Sabrina The Turd Polisher

Quote from: david on September 06, 2011, 10:51:45 AMTrying to find out the "how to"
Lot's of info on the nets, but none as far as the actual process...

is it done offset?
flexo?
on plastic?
cmyk or?

thanks in advance!
Did you search Printing Impressions archive (do they have one?). Seems I remember either them or GAM publishing an article on how that was done.
Of course this was maybe 8 years ago. Good luck!
Ambidextrous, Double-jointed Prepress Slave
We all have issues. The only people that don't are the dead ones. ©2011 Joe  |  doomed ©2011 david

born2print

QUOTE: Holographic paper and board stock have two dimensional holographic effects that reflect and diffract interior and natural lighting. Diffracted light separates into various colors and the reflected light sparkles to create a more eye-catching appearance.

The holographic effects are created by metalizing the surface with a thin layer of shiny silver aluminum. The holographic patterns are embossed into the aluminum surface, which forms millions of pixels in microscopic grooves and valleys. This embossed surface diffracts the light into many colors and reflects the light. END QUOTE

I don't think you can "print" a hologram, special stock + (lasers?) emboss?
How will I laugh tomorrow...
when I can't even smile today?

born2print

David

thanks Born, that's exactly what I was looking for!
well, not exactly, but it does go a long way into the explaining process.

cheers!
Livin' la Vida Loca

born2print

David

Livin' la Vida Loca

G_Town

Quote from: david on September 06, 2011, 11:42:12 AMthanks Born, that's exactly what I was looking for!
well, not exactly, but it does go a long way into the explaining process.

cheers!

Oh I was keeping quiet cause I was all like whaaaaaa, we do this stuff a lot, random patterns and patterns that have to register to the actual printing. Hazen papers is our supplier for this stuff.

We also have a cast and cure system which is similar but not quite as pronounced an effect.

andyfest

Yes we use Hazen as well for holo stock. The holographic foil is laminated onto an SBS substrate by the board supplier and it's extremely expensive. Printing is usually the same as you would do for any foil substrate - UV inks + drying lamps, usually involves some Opaque White areas. You have to watch the pile temperature at press too if I remember right.
Retired - CS6 on my 2012 gen MacBook Pro

David

thanks guys, I'll add it to the pile!

Livin' la Vida Loca

David

forgot to ask, do you guys do it offset or flexo?
anything special you do to the file?
Livin' la Vida Loca

andyfest

Offset here. Hazen supplies the sheets specific to the size & holographic pattern laminate that we have chosen. Nothing really different re: files, than what you would normally do for a foil job curved for UV inks.
Retired - CS6 on my 2012 gen MacBook Pro

G_Town

Offset as well, only exception is when you have a special pattern laminate that needs to register to the printing, think like a star burst pattern on the sun etc...we have to supply the board company dimensions where the center of the pattern is from edge of sheet in both the x and y on all positions they then send us a pdf proof showing the laminate laid out to our die that we OK before they will proceed, like andy said the shit aint cheap.

David

thanks for the input, I'll pass it on..

cheers!
Livin' la Vida Loca

David

oh crap, what line screen?

and, tell me anything else I forgot to ask, please      :embarrassed:

:laugh:
Livin' la Vida Loca