JPG to Vector with live type

Started by Bugs, October 04, 2011, 10:05:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

Quote from: Bugs on October 04, 2011, 11:09:57 AMWe are at $60 hr

$9,000 then. I guess it's really important if they agree to pay it. I'll do it for $8,999! :laugh:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Joe

Quote from: Sabrina The Turd Polisher on October 04, 2011, 11:11:27 AM$45 an hour! You are a cheap whore. Wow, that is cheap.  :laugh:
I'm $70 an hour!

In 1990 the place I was working at charged $245 per hour. When I started at this place in 2001 they were charging $45 per hour. Hasn't moved since. Doomed!

Skryber

We generally charge $50, however, each customer has they're own special cost depending on their level of PITA.
Rampage 11.1 • Preps 5.32 • Fuji Film Sabre P-9600 CTP Platesetter with inline FLP 1260 processor • Rampage •  ManRoland PECOM using CIP3 data • HP DesignJet 5500 42" 6/C • Epson Stylus Pro 9880 • Xerox Docucolor 8000 with Fiery • Mutoh ValueJet 1604 • Océ Arizona 250 GT • Océ Arizona 365 GT • Onyx Production House/THRIVE • ManRoland 700 5/c + coat and 2/3 perfect • and a coupla' Heidelbergs and other stuff

David

our keyboard time used to be 125.

of course, that was back in the eighties when cash was easy to come by.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Joe

We could charge $5,000 an hour and it wouldn't make any difference. Our customers won't agree to pay for 5 minutes at $45 per hour.

t-pat

our time is worthless until it comes time for a raise (or comes time to fire someone to cut the budget), funny huh?
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

Farabomb

Think we are at $125/hr here but like  everywhere, it's subjective.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

DigiCorn

$60/hour here... not that our customers ever really have to pay it
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

gnubler

Quote from: t-pat on October 04, 2011, 11:34:03 AMour time is worthless until it comes time for a raise (or comes time to fire someone to cut the budget), funny huh?

Happening here right now. I've spent countless hours designing & printing material for a big event and I don't think any of prepress time is being billed. Like Joe says, I'm paid hourly so why should I care...

I care when it cuts into paying jobs like it has the past several weeks.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

hotmetal

I've bid on freelance production projects of this magnitude before. My bids were fair and my work stands for itself (i.e., they want vector art and type and that's what they'd get, and I'd use both OCR and Streamline (LiveTrace these days) to start off, in batch mode.) Never got anyone to bite for such a project. An hour each sounds about right. Some would go faster, some would be a bitch. A month's work for one person, a couple days work for a workgroup, if you can find an entire workgroup of this caliber.

If they don't want to pay a professional rate for the work but still expect professional results, you might as well be flipping burgers...
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." ...
Hunter S. Thompson

t-pat

I want to work the drive thru window.... 'cause they totally screw you at the drive thru.
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

Joe

Quote from: hotmetal on October 04, 2011, 03:26:58 PMI've bid on freelance production projects of this magnitude before. My bids were fair and my work stands for itself (i.e., they want vector art and type and that's what they'd get, and I'd use both OCR and Streamline (LiveTrace these days) to start off, in batch mode.) Never got anyone to bite for such a project. An hour each sounds about right. Some would go faster, some would be a bitch. A month's work for one person, a couple days work for a workgroup, if you can find an entire workgroup of this caliber.

If they don't want to pay a professional rate for the work but still expect professional results, you might as well be flipping burgers...

Customers always want professional results. Never at the professional rate though. They always expect it to be free. SOS. Day after day. :cry: