Looking for small, durable, external HD

Started by gnubler, October 26, 2011, 07:25:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gnubler

LOL, here we go again. The eternal debate over HDs. Can we just agree that they all suck?

What was Nick spewing about drives a few days ago?
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Farabomb

I've never had a 64 bit driver issue for any drive. It may just be shitty vista but all my drives work on the laptop with vista.  :huh:

I've only bought Seagate and WD in recent memory and have had no issues. The my Passport one I was talking about runs off the USB cable so there is no need for external power.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

gnubler

I like the thought of not having a separate power cable. It's a drag because none of these drives have switches so I'm constantly pulling the power cord out when not in use.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

DigiCorn

Quote from: gnubler on October 27, 2011, 09:18:40 AMI like the thought of not having a separate power cable. It's a drag because none of these drives have switches so I'm constantly pulling the power cord out when not in use.
Hence my issue with it not shutting down properly because of a crappy driver. Not having a power cable would be nice.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

David

Also remember that most of these external drives have no fan in them. Leaving them plugged in for extended periods of time will cause them to overheat.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

delooch

i picked up a western digital 320GB for about $49 a year ago.. its a little larger than a cassette tape (remember those?), is mini-USB powered, its been ultra reliable despite being WD..  stay away from those requiring its own power supply, they suck for portabilty

Joe

Quote from: DigiCorn on October 27, 2011, 08:43:46 AM
Quote from: Joe on October 26, 2011, 09:34:56 PM
Quote from: gnubler on October 26, 2011, 07:25:59 PMNow accepting recommendations. I'm looking for the smallest available external USB drive, minimum 300Gb but preferably 500Gb. Something durable (rubber enclosure) and waterproof would be awesome if such a thing exists.

I heard that HD prices have currently risen due to flooding in SE Asia, is this true? (hence my interest in waterproof...j/k)  Just looking for something small I can grab & go in case of a crisis situation on the homefront.

External Hard Drives

Damn, that 2 TB Seagate for $80 is sold out. :cry: Go with a Seagate over the Western Digital.
Given my recent experience with not one but two Seagate external eSata 1TB drives failing and my past history with bad WD drives, I'd look for option 3. Personally I like Hitachi, but I don't know if they make an external. Does Buffalo, or Maxtor make one? I'm through with Seagate and WD.

Plus, I bought a Seagate 1TB external for home use last year and it said it was 64-bit compatible, but really wasn't. I had to do all kinds of shit to make it work, until they finally made a true 64-bit driver for Vista... and even now it still doesn't work right... I mean it has no power switch and it's supposed to shut down when Vista shuts down, but about 5% of the time, it doesn't.

Maxtor drives are the biggest pieces of crap out there.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

G_Town

Quote from: gnubler on October 27, 2011, 08:48:13 AMLOL, here we go again. The eternal debate over HDs. Can we just agree that they all suck?

Dunno don't listen to him.

DigiCorn

Quote from: Joe on October 27, 2011, 10:14:55 AM
Quote from: gnubler on October 26, 2011, 07:25:59 PMNow accepting recommendations. I'm looking for the smallest available external USB drive, minimum 300Gb but preferably 500Gb. Something durable (rubber enclosure) and waterproof would be awesome if such a thing exists.

I heard that HD prices have currently risen due to flooding in SE Asia, is this true? (hence my interest in waterproof...j/k)  Just looking for something small I can grab & go in case of a crisis situation on the homefront.

External Hard Drives

Damn, that 2 TB Seagate for $80 is sold out. :cry: Go with a Seagate over the Western Digital.
Given my recent experience with not one but two Seagate external eSata 1TB drives failing and my past history with bad WD drives, I'd look for option 3. Personally I like Hitachi, but I don't know if they make an external. Does Buffalo, or Maxtor make one? I'm through with Seagate and WD.

Plus, I bought a Seagate 1TB external for home use last year and it said it was 64-bit compatible, but really wasn't. I had to do all kinds of shit to make it work, until they finally made a true 64-bit driver for Vista... and even now it still doesn't work right... I mean it has no power switch and it's supposed to shut down when Vista shuts down, but about 5% of the time, it doesn't.

If you ever crack open a Dish Network or DirecTv DVR, most of them are Maxtor HDs.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

Yeah, a lot of the older macs had them too but they run seagate now I believe. Or that is what has been in the recent iMacs I've cracked open. But any brand of drive can die.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: Joe on October 27, 2011, 10:14:55 AM

External Hard Drives

Ditto-ditto-ditto-ditto-ditto.
Member #285 - Civilian

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: G_Town on October 27, 2011, 10:15:25 AM
Quote from: gnubler on October 27, 2011, 08:48:13 AMLOL, here we go again. The eternal debate over HDs. Can we just agree that they all suck?

Dunno don't listen to him.

You should. Strip away his political opinions, you will find he really knows his shit. Trust me, don't you? In all seriousness, I would not tell you to do something I would not do myself. You know better. :wink:
Member #285 - Civilian

gnubler

Any other suggestions? I'm going to be buying something today, this one is for the business but all previous requirements apply (small, durable, 1Tb).

OWC doesn't have much of a selection.

gnubler

tapdn

...and I repeat:
"Just replaced my external with WD My Passport Essential SE 1 TB for Time Machine backup. Small, relatively cheap, good reviews. No problems so far."
usually fried mate - sometimes pickled - often scrambled - never beaten
~ Sir B. Monsteaure
No, he's well within his rights to diss cake. Pie, on the other hand, is waaaayyyy off limits.
~Youston
I'm just a stupid printer WTF do I know
~Farabomb