(newbie alert) are these separations OK?

Started by MikeInMass, April 25, 2012, 10:50:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeInMass

Our nonprofit is trying to print some maps and we are all absolute newbies.
So, I thought I would grovel for some feedback here.

Do these color separations look OK for sending off to a printer?
Or does it look like it violates a total ink limit?
Do I have to worry about the knocked out dots for cities not lining up right?

http://www.lemkoassociation.org/LemkoBook/map/map_72dpi.Black.tif
http://www.lemkoassociation.org/LemkoBook/map/map_72dpi.Cyan.tif
http://www.lemkoassociation.org/LemkoBook/map/map_72dpi.Magenta.tif
http://www.lemkoassociation.org/LemkoBook/map/map_72dpi.Yellow.tif

Thanks very much for any insight!

DigiCorn

Do you need to give them separated 1-bit tiffs? Why 72dpi (or is that just for preview only)? Why not give them a composite and let them make their own seps?
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

David

Welcome to the Forums Mike!

I would agree with digi, unless the printer is requesting 1 bit tiffs, I would think a PDF would be be than sufficient.

Can you explain why you are wondering if the tiffs are OK?
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

MikeInMass

Oh, I just made 72 dpi 1-bit TIFFs for you guys to preview. I have a single-page CMYK PDF file but it is 205 megs.
http://www.lemkoassociation.org/LemkoBook/2012-04-17%20Map/Lem_USA_20120417Fcmyk.pdf

Joe

Those are not one bit tifs as they are not screened. It's just a separated tiff. You are much better off giving the printer the PDF.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigiCorn

oh yeah... WELCOME!!

You don't need to upload the high res file; did your vendor specifically request separated 1-bit tiffs? Most vendors I know would want the composite file to do their own trapping/separations, specifically for imposition reasons.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

And based upon the composite I made from the separations you don't have to worry about Total Ink limit and the printer should take of trapping so you shouldn't have to concern yourself with the knocked out dots for cities not lining up right

[smg id=730]

MikeInMass

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Yes, I wrote that they were 1-bit TIFFs but of course they are 8-bit TIFFs. Thanks for correcting me.
I was certainly planning to send the PDF file, not the TIFFs, to the printer.

I just wondered whether I could have expect the printer to kick it back for violating a "300% ink limit"
or if the knocked-out dots in the cyan channel were likely to be misregistered.
Our printer charges a lot for making adjustments to the file, so I was hoping I had something that would print OK as-is.

Thanks for the thumbs-up on those counts, Joe!

Joe

Black type is just black. Check.

Color looks good. Check

Ink limits are fine. Check.

High Res PDF. Check.

You're good to go in my book.

Joe

And yes, welcome to the forum. I wish more people would ask these questions up front as well.

gnubler

A designer who actually cares about prepress? Wow!  :hello:
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

MikeInMass

lol. I'm not a designer. I'm a poor slob who was asked by his colleagues, "Hey, we want to get a bunch of educational maps printed, you're good with computers, can you make that happen?"

t-pat

Quote from: MikeInMass on April 25, 2012, 12:48:55 PMlol. I'm not a designer. I'm a poor slob who was asked by his colleagues, "Hey, we want to get a bunch of educational maps printed, you're good with computers, can you make that happen?"

I think that's how most people wind up being designers, the difference is you bothered to try to make sure your stuff would actually work. A+.
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

Greg_Firestone

Hey Mike,

Welcome to the forum. I'll just throw this out there. My company does a cloud-based preflight and file optimization solution. It's great for low volume users with high quality standards. You could process the file through it before sending it to your printer. We have a free trial for new users so your first 3 pages would be free. It's at www.fixmyprintfile.com. Just upload your file and pick your output requirement (probably "North America Commercial PDF/X-1a CMYK" for the map).

I tried it and the resulting file was about 26mb. Took under 5 min (excluding the upload).Overall the file was pretty good. There are many small lines which are below .25 points which you have to be careful about. There was also some CMY type set to overprint which you probably want to knock-out. For example, the word "TRANSCARPATHIA" along with some other red type.

Though if you're having these printed in Europe, our settings are currently optimized for US markets so I wouldn't use it. We're using Gracol ICC profiles for North American customers. It looks like your file is using an ECI ISO Coated profile.

Regards,
Greg

MikeInMass

Hi Greg,

Thanks for the information. Your site looks interesting, but unfortunately I tried uploading the file twice and both times got "There was a problem uploading the job. Please try again or contact support."

What do I need to do about the small lines?

What will happen if I print the file with the red text as an overprint rather than knocked out?
I want to make sure it is worth paying for another revision of the map with that text changed to overprint?

Thanks for the help!