Recent

Author Topic: PDF 2 ID (read PDF to InDesign)  (Read 26937 times)

Offline Sparky

PDF 2 ID (read PDF to InDesign)
« on: December 08, 2007, 10:42:34 PM »
Has anyone seen this yet? I'm almost ready to plop the $250 for it just to put it through it's paces.

PDF2ID

Do ya think they want to compete with PitStop? or did someone just get smart and create a PDF plugin for ID that really works.

Please – comments wanted  :o
« Last Edit: December 08, 2007, 10:47:43 PM by Sparky »
"No well engineered plan survives contact with reality"

Offline Joe

• Master of Nothing
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Warlord
    • B4Print.com
Re: PDF 2 ID (read PDF to InDesign)
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2007, 11:21:27 PM »
I've heard of it but have not tried it because, well, they have no fully functioning trial copy for me to try. I'm very skeptical of any sub $1000 software, that the company making it, does not have enough confidence in their own product to provide a trial copy for people to use before plunking down $250. What happens if you buy it and it doesn't work up to your expectations?
Mac OS 10.14.6 Mojave | Prinergy 8.2 | Adobe Creative Cloud 2019 | Two Luscher XPose 160 CTP units

Prepress: One who does precision guess work based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

Offline almaink

• Profeebfilefixer
  • Ninja Member
  • Whacking and stacking since '76
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2007, 09:21:30 AM »
I ran the demo and altho it had limitations, it seem to work great. BTW I did buy the Publisher to InDesign Plugin and all I can say is WOW! No more fudging around in Publisher trying to fix garbage. I tested it on a huge pub file and once opened I had an InDesign document and a folder containing every element in the document. Well worth the money IMO. The PDF to Indy plugin I really don't see a need for as when I need to edit anything I can't do it Acrobat with Pit Stop, gets it's fonts converted to outlines and then goes to Illustrator.
OS10.6.8  OS10.10.5
Windows 10
Cannon C6000
Oce TDS 860
Kodak Digimaster 9110
Don't Crush That Dwarf, Hand Me the Pliers

Offline LoganBlade

• Why?
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2007, 10:23:09 AM »
I have the Quark to Indesign. I like it. Some reformating problems with differnet shaped boxes getting sharper edges. I hate quark now that i have used Indesign so I deal with the problems and fix them. PLus if Imiss anything the Customer seethembefore weprintandwill comp[lain ifitis wrong.Well with the 200 plus we spent I say well worth it. I might see about that PDF to Indesign. We don't get a lot ofPDFwork andare notsuper great at using Pitstop so it might be worth the investment getting it to a known progam.
"dyslexics have more fnu"

Offline Joe

• Master of Nothing
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Warlord
    • B4Print.com
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2007, 11:54:40 AM »

I ran the demo and altho it had limitations, it seem to work great.

Where did you find a demo? I must be overlooking it somewhere.
Mac OS 10.14.6 Mojave | Prinergy 8.2 | Adobe Creative Cloud 2019 | Two Luscher XPose 160 CTP units

Prepress: One who does precision guess work based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

Offline almaink

• Profeebfilefixer
  • Ninja Member
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2007, 08:14:39 AM »
They no longer offer it. It was available for the initial release only.
OS10.6.8  OS10.10.5
Windows 10
Cannon C6000
Oce TDS 860
Kodak Digimaster 9110

Offline almaink

• Profeebfilefixer
  • Ninja Member
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2007, 11:56:54 AM »

I've heard of it but have not tried it because, well, they have no fully functioning trial copy for me to try. I'm very skeptical of any sub $1000 software, that the company making it, does not have enough confidence in their own product to provide a trial copy for people to use before plunking down $250. What happens if you buy it and it doesn't work up to your expectations?

Just found this on Version Tracker
it's a new version with a trial
http://tc.versiontracker.com/product/redir/lid/1238374/PDF2IDTrial.dmg
OS10.6.8  OS10.10.5
Windows 10
Cannon C6000
Oce TDS 860
Kodak Digimaster 9110

Offline Joe

• Master of Nothing
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Warlord
    • B4Print.com
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2007, 12:27:40 PM »
Thanks. I'll give it a try.

Offline ninjaPB_43

• Head Ninja In Corporate America (Tha HNICA)
  • Ninja Master
  • Irie Minded
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2007, 12:55:34 PM »
ooooh..   nice alma, thanks..   Im trying it out now.
People will notice the change in your attitude towards them, but won't notice their behavior that made you change.  -Bob Marley

Offline Joe

• Master of Nothing
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Warlord
    • B4Print.com
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2007, 01:05:05 PM »
Just tested it on a file from work. It actually did a pretty nice job but you are going to have font substitution and reflow if you do not have the fonts open that are in the PDF. You have control over font substitution but I'm sure if you have the fonts you'll have a much better experience. I can see where having a copy of this around would be quite handy. Just not sure if it's worth $250. I'd definitely give 'em a hundred bucks for it though.

Offline ninjaPB_43

• Ninja Master
  • Irie Minded
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2007, 01:34:19 PM »
just an fyi..   as Im going through the user guide

People will notice the change in your attitude towards them, but won't notice their behavior that made you change.  -Bob Marley

Offline ninjaPB_43

• Ninja Master
  • Irie Minded
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2007, 01:57:46 PM »
ummm..  very first test..

the file was just 4 imposed high res .jpeg(PDF2ID should have converted these to .tiff) files into a layout for press that we just recently printed(and yes, I could have converted those files to something other than .jpeg in the layout, but I didnt want to).  I was wanting to see first if it would just give me my layout back.   apparently it opposes to not just .JPEG2000...

Offline ninjaPB_43

• Ninja Master
  • Irie Minded
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2007, 02:09:41 PM »
outlined fonts cause major problems with alignment...   I would not take the time to realign all the characters as shown in the attached image..   and that's just one small paragraph..

it makes me feel woozy and drunk looking at it..    :'(

« Last Edit: December 13, 2007, 02:13:55 PM by ninjaPB_43 »

Offline almaink

• Profeebfilefixer
  • Ninja Member
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2007, 02:41:56 PM »
No conversion plugin is perfect. I'm with Joe on this one tho, I'd pay $100 but no way am I forking over $250 for it. BTW I did buy the PubtoIndy plugin and it's already saved me a few headaches.
OS10.6.8  OS10.10.5
Windows 10
Cannon C6000
Oce TDS 860
Kodak Digimaster 9110

Offline ninjaPB_43

• Ninja Master
  • Irie Minded
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2007, 02:46:44 PM »
I wouldnt spend the money either.. 

I didnt expect perfection and I think it does a good job on most stuff, I only posted what I had problems with for others benefit... fwiw  :)