News:

Main Menu

offset sealer?????

Started by motormount, January 27, 2014, 05:00:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

motormount

Halo!

Anybody knows what an ''offset sealer'' is?

First i thought it was an elegant way to say varnish,but then lower in the job specs, varnish was described as ''varnish'',no offset sealer,protection etc.

Have a look if you please...

Finished size: 21x29,7
Text: 152 pages printed 4+4 colors + offset sealer
Matt paper 115 gs
Cover: 4 pages 4+4 colors + offset varnish
Matt paper 200 gsm
Finishing: sew binding

So if anyone has an idea,please let us know!

StudioMonkey

Sealer is used to stop the ink rubbing off or smudging and goes all over the printed area.  Varnish is a gloss or matt coating (like a perfectly transparent ink) that can be printed in shapes or blocks to highlight items on the page. 

It is quite common to add a sealer if the job is to be run through the press again, for instance to put on a varnish.
Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana

David

We will on occasion "seal" the sheet before putting the color down to get the paper to more readily accept the ink.
We had a job last week printing on some weird pearl colored coated paper. The pms ink wouldn't stick so we had to put a varnish sealer down first so the pms ink would adhere to the paper.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

motormount

Quote from: StudioMonkey on January 27, 2014, 07:36:39 AMSealer is used to stop the ink rubbing off or smudging and goes all over the printed area.  Varnish is a gloss or matt coating (like a perfectly transparent ink) that can be printed in shapes or blocks to highlight items on the page. 

It is quite common to add a sealer if the job is to be run through the press again, for instance to put on a varnish.

Quote from: david on January 27, 2014, 08:30:15 AMWe will on occasion "seal" the sheet before putting the color down to get the paper to more readily accept the ink.
We had a job last week printing on some weird pearl colored coated paper. The pms ink wouldn't stick so we had to put a varnish sealer down first so the pms ink would adhere to the paper.

Thank you both.

We call ''varnish'' glossy or mat,the transparent ink that protects printing process ink from scratching-especially in jobs with heavy TAC-.

If it's applied in certain blocks-or headers or whatever,then we call it spot varnish.

Both of them are done on press.

Next comes lamination.

A plastic transparent layer on top of the print job,be it mat or gloss done in a laminating machine-don't know how else can i put in English.

If it's done topically,to emphasize a picture or a picture element,or some letters for example,then we call it spot uv.

A usual one is for a cover to be mat laminated,with glossy spot uv on the brand logo.

So most probably,the client refers to varnish as ''sealer''-as i first thought- and to lamination as varnish-which didn't crossed my mind until i red StudioMonkey's answer.

I thing we'd better contact the client!

Thank's again!

ps The biggest -by far- problem on printing,(and to every other industry i guess) is good,clear and precise communication.

If on top of that you ad the different slung of printers and designers,then things may come even trickier.

If you're lucky enough,maybe you'll even have the chance to combine all of the above with the different native lanquages of customer,agency and printer!  :death:

ps2 In printplanet someone replied it's aqueous coating.That should be the most logical explanation-taking in mind that text needs offset sealer and cover needs offset varinsh