The Curiosity Rover Landing on Mars

Started by Joe, August 05, 2012, 09:04:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigiCorn

Quote from: Diddler on August 05, 2012, 08:26:50 PM
Quote from: Joe on August 05, 2012, 08:13:25 PMI'm going to try to remember to look at it on the live feed. Not sure what we are going to see though?????
I'm hoping for Melvin the Martian.

Oh goody! My illudium Q-36 explosive space modulator
His name is Melvin? I always thought it was Marvin. Fcuk!

We should destroy Mars. It impedes my view of Jupiter.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

DigitalCrapShoveler

ALthough I am a big fan of space exploration... couldn't that money be better used to fix shit here?
Member #285 - Civilian

Joe

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on August 06, 2012, 11:10:25 AMALthough I am a big fan of space exploration... couldn't that money be better used to fix shit here?

It was either spend it on space exploration or let he politicians waste it/line their pockets with it/give it to a 3rd world dictator to build a new palace with it. I prefer the space program.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: Joe on August 06, 2012, 11:18:32 AM
Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on August 06, 2012, 11:10:25 AMALthough I am a big fan of space exploration... couldn't that money be better used to fix shit here?

It was either spend it on space exploration or let he politicians waste it/line their pockets with it/give it to a 3rd world dictator to build a new palace with it. I prefer the space program.

Yeah, kind of agree with that as well.
Member #285 - Civilian

youston

NASA TV Capture of MSL Curiosity Rover Landing on Mars

This is the 5 minutes before and 5 minutes after touchdown (which occurs at @ 5:30 in the video).

Man, those people look SO HAPPY when touchdown was confirmed.

Joe

Quote from: youston on August 06, 2012, 11:38:51 AMThis is the 5 minutes before and 5 minutes after touchdown (which occurs at @ 5:30 in the video).

That's the thing I noticed as well. You don't see many prepress moments like that. :cry:

youston

Quote from: Joe on August 06, 2012, 11:45:28 AM
Quote from: youston on August 06, 2012, 11:38:51 AMThis is the 5 minutes before and 5 minutes after touchdown (which occurs at @ 5:30 in the video).

That's the thing I noticed as well. You don't see many prepress moments like that. :cry:

I might have one in a few minutes ... stand by. Roger.

Skryber

Oh yeah?? You should see me when I get a Quack file with transparency to rip correctly. Of course it's never until at least the 4th time trying. You'd see a lot of  :tantrum: the 1st 3 times.
Rampage 11.1 • Preps 5.32 • Fuji Film Sabre P-9600 CTP Platesetter with inline FLP 1260 processor • Rampage •  ManRoland PECOM using CIP3 data • HP DesignJet 5500 42" 6/C • Epson Stylus Pro 9880 • Xerox Docucolor 8000 with Fiery • Mutoh ValueJet 1604 • Océ Arizona 250 GT • Océ Arizona 365 GT • Onyx Production House/THRIVE • ManRoland 700 5/c + coat and 2/3 perfect • and a coupla' Heidelbergs and other stuff

youston

Quote from: Skryber on August 06, 2012, 11:50:32 AM

Oh yeah?? You should see me when I get a Quack file with transparency to rip correctly. Of course it's never until at least the 4th time trying. You'd see a lot of  :tantrum: the 1st 3 times.

Billions and billions of dollars wasted.  :angry:

David

they would have just spent it on stuff like feeding the hungry, it's no big deal    :sarcasm:
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Joe

Quote from: david on August 06, 2012, 12:44:22 PMthey would have just spent it on stuff like feeding the hungry, it's no big deal    :sarcasm:

Yes, like on this hungry pig.

David

yeah, he looks like he missed his morning snack...
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Sabrina The Turd Polisher

Quote from: Joe on August 05, 2012, 11:40:40 PMThat was one of the coolest things I've ever witnessed! :cool:
Watched the video of the control room this morning. It was VERY cool! Even brought a little tear to my eye. A very proud moment for all involved.
...and with THAT landing! They did it! Whew!

I think the Genesis failure about a decade ago really shamed them, NASA has done an incredibly great job since then.  :shocked:
Ambidextrous, Double-jointed Prepress Slave
We all have issues. The only people that don't are the dead ones. ©2011 Joe  |  doomed ©2011 david

Grimace

Quote from: Sabrina The Turd Polisher on August 06, 2012, 02:50:05 PM
Quote from: Joe on August 05, 2012, 11:40:40 PMThat was one of the coolest things I've ever witnessed! :cool:
Watched the video of the control room this morning. It was VERY cool! Even brought a little tear to my eye. A very proud moment for all involved.
...and with THAT landing! They did it! Whew!

I think the Genesis failure about a decade ago really shamed them, NASA has done an incredibly great job since then.  :shocked:

It was the damn Metric System that was to blame!!

gnubler

Quote from: DigiCorn on August 06, 2012, 10:17:29 AMWe should destroy Mars.

I think we already did. It looks like Earth will in some future time after its inhabitants use up all the water and blow the shit out of everything.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david