It's official - Adobe's finally going all Cloud

Started by Possum, May 06, 2013, 11:54:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andyfest

They will still have to make allowances for security-heavy clients (eg: pharma) that do not allow workstations to be linked to the internet. We had to go thru a few more hoops to accomplish the CS6 install, but it was possible without internet access. As far as I'm concerned they can shove the "cloud" where the sun don't shine. :mrt:
Retired - CS6 on my 2012 gen MacBook Pro

Sabrina The Turd Polisher

Is anyone using the "cloud" here on B4P?
Joe? I want to hear stories from the trenches...
Ambidextrous, Double-jointed Prepress Slave
We all have issues. The only people that don't are the dead ones. ©2011 Joe  |  doomed ©2011 david

Slappy

Quote from: almaink on May 07, 2013, 09:30:12 AMWhat we as an industry should do is tell Adobe to shove their "cloud" up their ass. If every print shop in the world did it, their software would be virtually worthless. At the very lest they should start the Partners Program back up, and offer print shops access to their print software at a substantial discount for a yearly fee. I do not need Flash, Dreamweaver or any of the Web applications, and I already have all the fonts I need, ditto on the storage and collaboration BS. I for one will stick with CS5.5, and ask for PDF's for CC files like we do for Quack files now.
You mean just like everybody "agrees" not to buy gas on the same day to stick it to the oil companies? Be real, we'll do exactly what our clients want & suck it up. It's a cost of doing business and railing against the perceived injustice won't do squat. I see designers crying & threatening to go back to Quark, or even CorelDraw - and they're all morons who will stik with Adobe in the end.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

Joe

Quote from: Sabrina The Turd Polisher on May 07, 2013, 10:34:38 AMIs anyone using the "cloud" here on B4P?
Joe? I want to hear stories from the trenches...

Yeah, I use Amazon S3 at work for offsite backups. And the FREE cloud services ADrive (50 GB), Dropbox (5 GB), Skydrive (25 GB), Google (5 GB), Apple (5 GB), Amazon S3 Free Tier (5 GB), and Amazon Cloud Drive (5 GB) for my own personal cloud storage.

But I don't use the Adobe Cloud for CS6 though. We bought the desktop versions of those.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigiCorn

I use Amazon Cloud for mp3 downloads (I won't support the Apple store anymore).

I use Pogoplug Cloud for all my personal documents, photos, music and videos.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

gnubler

Quote from: Slappy on May 07, 2013, 10:49:06 AMI see designers crying & threatening to go back to Quark, or even CorelDraw - and they're all morons who will stik with Adobe in the end.

You're absolutely right. I read a bunch of comments on some other site and they're all like "Bye, Adobe" but you know within a few months they'll be tooling with the Cloud on their tablets at coffeeshops.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Possum

Adobe has no real competition when it comes to the suite as a whole. Moving to other options such as Corel and Quark don't provide the integration from one app to the other, but many of us started out that way before Adobe came on the scene and can do so again.

There are two big problems with the subscription model that I see.

First of all, if you drop your subscription at some time in the future, you won't be able to open any of your files unless you borrow someone else's computer or subscribe for a month.

Second, while Adobe is not doing this yet, apparently, the fine print allows them to update your apps without your permission and without telling you. What happens when they do that with some buggy update? You won't be able to go back to your previous un-updated version unless you constantly back up with something like Time Machine that will do a full restore. This also runs the risk of your apps updating to the point that your OS can't run them. Adobe addressed this, and currently allows delaying updating apps so you have time to run out and update your OS or buy a new computer, but they do reserve the right to just shove the updates up your port when they feel like it.

It will be interesting to see how many third party apps are created or improved now to try to compete.
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

Joe

I can see print shops doing what almaink suggested and requiring PDF's only. They've done it before with Quark. In our case we still have to have page layout software though for in-house production and I can't see us switching to Scribus anytime soon.

But theoretically a design shop could switch to Gimp, Inkscape, and Scribus and get by. But the lack of a good PDF Editor with a tool like Pitstop will keep most print shops from abandoning Adobe.

Slappy

A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

Joe

I'll bet Adobe is having a good chuckle over that. :laugh:

Grimace

Quote from: abc on May 07, 2013, 07:58:30 AMInteresting with the font idea, but is it only for web fonts?

http://help.typekit.com/customer/portal/articles/529506-getting-started-with-typekit-and-creative-cloud

Typekit is available standalone or as part of Adobe's Creative Cloud service. As part of a paid Creative Cloud subscription, you'll receive a Typekit Portfolio plan with access to our full library of web fonts. (The free Creative Cloud subscription includes a Typekit Free Plan, with a subset of the fonts available.)

If you are new to Typekit, first subscribe to Creative Cloud. (If you've previously purchased Creative Suite 3 or later, you're eligible for a discount on your first year of Creative Cloud.) Then, sign in to Typekit with the same Adobe ID you used to subscribe to Creative Cloud.

Now you can begin using Typekit. Browse the library of fonts or learn how to add fonts to your site.

Note: if you are already using Typekit, you can link your new Creative Cloud membership to your Typekit account.

Ah ha. I just glanced it over in a fury of distrust. I'll have to give the whole thing a chance i suppose, I'm just ticked that our IT guy just finally upgraded to CS6 last week.

gnubler

Quote from: Slappy on May 07, 2013, 12:10:15 PMOh lookee, a petition!  :lmao:

QuoteLet's make a difference and stand up to Adobe and let them know our stance. We want our voices heard.

:laugh:  So don't buy their products. Solved.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Sabrina The Turd Polisher

Adobe is flexing their muscles in the graphics/media sector, they can do this since they totally have the market cornered.

farking bastards.
Ambidextrous, Double-jointed Prepress Slave
We all have issues. The only people that don't are the dead ones. ©2011 Joe  |  doomed ©2011 david

frailer

Think King Kong. But with a designer's sensibility, of course.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

abc

I've seen nothing about Acrobat and Creative Cloud which kind of makes sense as Adobe openly admit that their main market is not Graphic Arts, but the corporate electronic document market

Also the Adobe product page for Acrobat doesn't bombard you with CC messaging like the other creative suite application pages.

Anybody heard/seen anything about Acrobat?