Google Chromecast

Started by DCurry, December 03, 2013, 09:31:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

Quote from: DCurry on December 26, 2013, 12:02:46 PMSo, Christmas morning I plugged the Chromecast into my TV, went over to my iMac to set it up (knowing full well that 10.6.8 is not supported, I tried it anyway.) Chrome gave me message that my OS was not supported, but it let me try anyway and much to my enjoyment it worked fine!

Used it to stream some YouTube videos for my daughter, and also watched some HBO through it and it worked great. Very glad I got it.

It was super easy to set up and use - took less than 5 minutes.

I got one for Christmas too. Agreed with all of that but...

They are damn dirty liars when they say that you can stream any video that plays in Chrome to the Chromecast. Playing a .avi from my NAS within Chrome on my iMac will not stream to the Chromecast. Clicking the button to send it to the Chromecast only gives me a menu for "Options", "Send feedback...", and "Help".

Another thing is that volume is a lot lower on the Chromecast. When watching TV I have my volume set at about 13. When watching a video on Chromecast I have to up the volume to around 40. Then if I forget and switch back to normal TV it about blows the windows out of the house. :laugh:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

gnubler

I keep my volume set around 11, and google has no idea what programs I'm watching.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Joe

You might be surprised what Google knows about you. :toaster:

gnubler

Maybe. I'll be a pile of bones before it becomes self aware. I win!
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

DCurry

Quote from: Joe on December 26, 2013, 12:23:46 PMThey are damn dirty liars when they say that you can stream any video that plays in Chrome to the Chromecast. Playing a .avi from my NAS within Chrome on my iMac will not stream to the Chromecast. Clicking the button to send it to the Chromecast only gives me a menu for "Options", "Send feedback...", and "Help".

I know you can cast any Chrome tab. I did it with some web pages, but didn't try with video.

As for the volume thing, I noticed that as well, but maxed the volume within YouTube and it was much better. Still had to put the TV volume a little louder, but not nearly as much.
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Joe

Messing around with this today. If I "cast" any web page it goes to the chromecast. I can then load the "avi" video into that tab and it does cast it to the chromecast but also continues to play on the iMac. And the sound is on the iMac but no sound on the TV. If I load the video into chrome first then I don't have a choice to send it to the chrome cast.

Joe

It seems I don't always have the "Cast this tab... BETA" "Chromecast2082" in the menu as shown in the attached image. If I click it and hold the mouse button down I can cast .mp4 videos, put them in full screen and hear the sound on the TV though the video still continues to play on the mac without sound on the Mac (which is better than sound on both devices). And I can cast .avi videos but putting them in full screen mode on the iMac does put them in full screen mode on the TV. And the sound is on the Mac and not the TV. I have a feeling this is due to Macs not being able to natively play .avi files. You have to install a plug-in to play .avi's on the Mac. I installed Perian to play .avi's so that might be part of the problem.

t-pat

I just got one yesterday. Seemed to work well with HBO and Netflix, don't really care about streaming local content though, have the htpc for that. For $35 it was worth it to have a decent Netflix interface .
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

Joe

I don't have HBO and have been considering dropping Netflix as well.

I have the HTPC also but would love to not have a full blown PC hooked up to the TV. Thinking about this right now: The Little Black Box

Joe

So...I am now able to stream my content from my NAS to the Chromecast. But it sucks! :laugh:

Content resides on my NAS. I have to have Plex server running on a Windows 8.1 PC. Then I have to open the content on my iMac/Windows PC/phone/tablet with the Chrome browser and cast it from that device. So the path that content travels is NAS across wired ethernet to the Plex Server then wirelessly to the device running chrome and then wirelessly from that device to the Chromecast. Lots of stuttering, stopping and starting. :cry:

Slappy

I can't imagine why it's not streaming smoothly.  :lmao:
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

Joe

Exactly!

I suppose using it for what it was designed for it works fine. But where is the fun in that? :laugh:

gnubler

This sounds terrible. How do you cope? :hello:

Joe