Consumer Grade Scanners

Started by Slappy, December 16, 2013, 09:13:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slappy

I've been tasked with getting a scanner for my (elderly) in-laws so they can scan as many old pics as they feel like in the comfort of their dining room. Oh joy.

I'm thinking something lightweight, with an easy interface if possible. I seriously doubt they'll do any real retouching or even color correction. If they can at least get decent hi-res scan then I can always go back & do that stuff if I feel like. I do love the Epson Perfection line, but they're pretty hefty and I think have way too many bells & whistles in the software. Not too familiar with Canons or HP, any experience or reviews?
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

Joe

I have a Canon Pixma MP495 all-in-one printer/fax/scanner. Works OK. Pretty easy. Had an HP of the same before this. It worked OK also.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

gnubler

I can tell you now you're going to end up scanning old pictures for your in-laws.

Just do 11x17 batch scans on the copier at work during lunch and single them out when you get home, it's for the best.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Slappy

1. Not the kind of shop I can do that in, fortunately in this case.
2. My mother-in-law is actually fairly competent so if I can keep the process simple, she'll do fine.

I've narrowed it down to either the Epson Perfection V370 or the Canon CanoScan LiDE 700F, both about the same price point and I think will do fine for their needs right now.

I'll surely be the one setting it up & doing Training but at least I'll be able to see how well it does.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

gnubler

I do wish you luck (forealz). Let us know what happens.

Too many times I'm the one who ends up doing scanning, cropping, and color corx so if you don't the beers are on me!
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

frailer

Epson V330 Photo here. Love it.. Scan interface not too bad. They can go default/dumb, if they want. Not pricey... or, as a waiter in Kalispell, Montana once said when we ordered a halfway decent red... "Ooh, that's a bit spendy". But I digress.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

SpicyVindaloo

It might be better for your sanity to send them off to a scanning service. I've seen groupon deals for scanning 1000 photos for $30.

DCurry

I think it's awesome that they are willing to give it a go on their own. I love it when I see older people embracing computers!
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Farabomb

I'm proud of them too. My mother uses her computer only under duress and refuses to learn how to use it. Because of that I now refuse to help her at all as it's a waste of our time.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

DigiCorn

Quote from: Farabomb on December 17, 2013, 01:07:58 PMI'm proud of them too. My mother uses her computer only under duress and refuses to learn how to use it. Because of that I now refuse to help her at all as it's a waste of our time.
That sounds familiar. I got my Mom a nook last year, so she could take it in to B&N anytime for classes and assistance. She has yet to put one book on it, but she does use it for email because she doesn't like to turn her computer on.

I got her a webcam so she can Skype and see her granddaughter, thus reducing her "need" to travel to "feel included" and "be in her granddaughter's life." She has never called me on Skype, despite me keeping a connection open on phone or Nexus 24/7. It's usually I call her, and then say, "go turn on your computer and I'll Skype you," and then hang up. It's usually followed by a return phone call, "do I have to do anything?" No. You never have to do anything. It launches automatically when you boot up. Just answer the call by clicking on the camera icon. Yet 50% of the time she clicks on the phone icon, and then complains she can't see anything.

Also, I don't help my Mom with her computer because she's a total bitch.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

born2print

Quote from: DCurry on December 17, 2013, 12:17:27 PMI think it's awesome that they are willing to give it a go on their own. I love it when I see older people embracing computers!
My father in law has been a CHAMP lately! He bought a radio, decided the reception wasn't so great, then noticed eye heart radio app and went that route!
Returned the radio, did it all without help!
(We helped him get started a while ago, and he really ran with it)
How will I laugh tomorrow...
when I can't even smile today?

gnubler

Quote from: DCurry on December 17, 2013, 12:17:27 PMI love it when I see older people embracing computers!

I'm in love with a 75 year old shoemaker in Oregon, mainly because he doesn't "get" how to use a computer.

born2print

Quote from: gnubler on December 17, 2013, 02:24:34 PM
Quote from: DCurry on December 17, 2013, 12:17:27 PMI love it when I see older people embracing computers!

I'm in love with a 75 year old shoemaker in Oregon, mainly because he doesn't "get" how to use a computer.
:tapedshut:
How will I laugh tomorrow...
when I can't even smile today?

frailer

Quote from: DCurry on December 17, 2013, 12:17:27 PMI think it's awesome that they are willing to give it a go on their own. I love it when I see older people embracing computers!

We always appreciate such appreciation.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

DCurry

Quote from: gnubler on December 17, 2013, 02:24:34 PMI'm in love with a 75 year old shoemaker in Oregon, mainly because he doesn't "get" how to use a computer.

He sounds like a peach of a cobbler.
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!