"How QuarkXPress became a mere afterthought in publishing"

Started by tuff_gong, January 14, 2014, 11:20:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gnubler

Another comment on that article:

QuoteIllustrator vs FreeHand? Completely arcane. There's things about Illustrator that frustrate me to this day. FreeHand 3 was my sh!t. I'd ride or die for that application. I actually like the entire LetraSet Studio Suite of Type(Font?)Studio, ImageStudio, DesignStudio, etc. But nobody cares...

- Because, if you pay close attention to this thread, we've all changed jobs. I'm 40 and getting my degree in electrical engineering so I never have to think about whether I'm using the corrupt version of Gill Sans ever, ever, again in my life...

DCS? :cry:
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Joe

I don't think that is emphatic enough about Freehand to be DCS.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Farabomb

Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

StudioMonkey

Quark got me started in this business with version 1.0 but since InDesign came out it's been my first choice.  That says it all.
Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana

gnubler

When a business asks if you know quark (or if you like using it), it's a red flag. DO NOT accept employment there.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

StudioMonkey

I have been asked that in an interview.  My reply was "Yes, I know Quark.  That's why I prefer InDesign."  I didn't get the job.
Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana

Tracy

Quote from: StudioMonkey on January 16, 2014, 08:03:45 AMI have been asked that in an interview.  My reply was "Yes, I know Quark.  That's why I prefer InDesign."  I didn't get the job.
:grin:

born2print

Quote from: StudioMonkey on January 16, 2014, 08:03:45 AMI have been asked that in an interview.  My reply was "Yes, I know Quark.  That's why I prefer InDesign."  I didn't get the job.
:laugh:
"jus' sayin'"
Those days are gone forever
I should just let them go but...

Fontaholic

Believe it or not, I started out desktop publishing in PageMaker, because that's the program that my college newspaper used for their layout/design.

It wasn't until I got my first prepress job at a mom 'n' pop printing company back in 1995 that I first began using Quark Xpress 3.  Even then, I tended to stick to PageMaker since that's what I was more familiar with.

Then I moved to my present job in 2000, and they used Quark Xpress 4 (then 5) for 90% of their stuff.  However, as time passed and we migrated to OSX and InDesign kept improving, I gradually shifted to InDesign because of its many superiorities to Quark. Now I'd say we're 95% InDesign and 5% Quark, which is fine by me.

Cheers, John the Fontaholic

pspdfppdfxhd

Best part of the article?

"Anyhoo, all of that is to tell you that, actually, InDesign does contain an "answer" to the Quark robot. In the Print dialog box, create and save a print preset named Friendly Alien. The settings don't matter. Then, click in the thumbnail preview area at the lower left of the dialog box and watch what happens."

:drunk3:

Best part of my day!!  :drunk3:

Got a painful ear infection today, and well, this just cheered me up a bit.  :drunk3:

Tracy

pspdfppdfxhd

command P (or file-print) to anythiing. I'm doing it in CS6.

Tracy

pspdfppdfxhd

Well, I've been dealing with my 84 year old mother's spamware infected pc with various problems with her downloading books from the library to her new KOBO reader...

sooo, I don't have time to deal with this now.  :laugh: :drunk3:

born2print

Those days are gone forever
I should just let them go but...