"How QuarkXPress became a mere afterthought in publishing"

Started by tuff_gong, January 14, 2014, 11:20:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frailer

Yeah, I guess finally nudging Quack over the cliff-edge just tightened the scrotum-clutch they already had. Layout was the missing bit.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Joe

Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Joe

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on January 22, 2014, 06:41:03 PM
Quote from: Joe on January 22, 2014, 06:32:13 PMThe layout app is not the problem. It wouldn't be all that hard to use Quark or even something like Scribus (open source page layout). The problem is that even switching page layout apps you still need software for creating art, editing photos, and fixing jacked up PDF's and that equals ADOBE (Illustrator, Photoshop, and Acrobat). So switching page layout apps does nothing but to cause yourself more expense and problems in the long run. Until someone comes up with a viable competitor to the whole Creative Suite or ahem...Creative Cloud...Adobe has us by the short hairs with no intention of letting you wriggle free. Now there are open  source alternatives to Illy, and Photoshop like GIMP and Inkscape and they aren't that bad if you can work in RGB. The killer though is the Acrobat/Pitstop combo. Which is why I'd like to see Enfocus come up with a reasonably priced stand alone PDF editor. It would be tempting to try to get by without the other Adobe apps.

The Elder of the tribe speaks.....

That should be "Grumpy Old Man"! :laugh:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

frailer

Quote from: Joe on January 22, 2014, 06:55:33 PMAnd we all helped! :cry:

Not that we had any real say. We only came into in-house in early '04; latecomers. Can't imagine what some of you guys went through with Output Blues. Actually, I bought the book of the same name when I was trying to bone up. Taz Tully? Something like that...
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Slappy

Quote from: frailer on January 22, 2014, 05:48:08 PMAnyone experienced receiving PDFs out of other (maybe freeware), non-MS apps? If so, do they work? I live in a prepress cocoon compared to some here, who are exposed to all sorts of STDs. (Stupidity Transmitted Diseases).
We don't see much out of the ordinary, but I saw one of the web-based design for printing Beta things the other month so I got an invite. It's called Canva, looked moderately interesting. I meant to generate a few PDFs to see how they go through the RIPs but haven't had a chance. Anybody wants to give it a whirl, I think I have 5 invites I can throw out. They don't seem to be spamming or anything, probably looking more for feedback at this point.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.