VPN implementation

Started by Farabomb, July 08, 2014, 12:20:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farabomb

Right now, just for testing it's XP and softetherVPN. If it ends up working I will be installing win7 and going at it again.

I'm wondering if I go though the VPN and use google remote desktop the connection would be more stable and therefore more usable.

I can see the whole network but the Mac.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

I might have some time tonight to drag out our old CTP pc and install an OS and softetherVPN. Actually it already has XP on it so I may just use that for now.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Farabomb

The install wasn't bad at all. Connecting to the PC was easy. Android I haven't been able to get connected.

io9.com has a deal for a paid VPN for secure browsing and such. $20 for 3 years of service so I figured what the hell.

Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

DigiCorn

We actually have three older (s-l-o-w) computers that got replaced (one OSX prepress workstation, one Windows with SmartBoard, and a second Windows prepress workstation) that we stuck up in the rafters for emergencies. If something catastrophic ever occurs, we can yank one of those boxes down and hook it up temporarily while we fix the problem.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Farabomb

I'm happy for you Digi.

Back to this pain in the ass. I can ping the mac remotely but it doesn't show up in network, I can't find it with any of the sharing options in preferences.  :huh:

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

DigiCorn

So you can go from Windows to Mac, but not Mac to Windows? Have you created a Macintosh share? This is moot if you have extremez-ip.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Farabomb

I can ping the mac from the PC but I can't see it anywhere.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

DigiCorn

I presume the Mac is on the same workgroup? Can you see the PC from the Mac?

I'll scroll back and see what OS's you're using on both machines.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

Quote from: Farabomb on August 22, 2014, 09:46:58 AMI can ping the mac from the PC but I can't see it anywhere.

What exactly are you wanting to do with the mac. You are logged into to the PC through the VPN how? SSH? Remote Desktop of some sort? or how?

Farabomb

I can see all the PCs except my netbook from the Mac.

On the netbook I can see everything but the Mac. 

OSes are XP for the vnc box, win7 for the netbook and 10.6.8 on the Mac.

The PC is going through my cell connection (need to be on a outside network for the VNC) through the VNC. The connection seems to be Direct TCP/IP or so it says.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

DigiCorn

I just set up PrintSmith access via VPN on a Netgear router last week, but I was going Mac-to-Mac. I had to punch a hole in the firewall with an access port. It is set up through TCP. I don't know your Mac's port.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

Quote from: Farabomb on August 22, 2014, 09:58:56 AMI can see all the PCs except my netbook from the Mac.

On the netbook I can see everything but the Mac. 

OSes are XP for the vnc box, win7 for the netbook and 10.6.8 on the Mac.

The PC is going through my cell connection (need to be on a outside network for the VNC) through the VNC. The connection seems to be Direct TCP/IP or so it says.

OK so you can ping the mac through that VPN connection. What are you trying to do with it?

Farabomb

I was going to try and remote into the Mac but it's not playing nice.

Now I have a new issue of a cover to print first thing monday, no fucking paper and the pressmen are off monday so I have to plead.

Yeah, the boss is already gone so I have to do it.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Ear

I use JumpDesktop app on the tablet to access my Mac at work. It's RDP/VNC and it has worked well for me. I use it on iPad but I think they have it for PC and Android too.

It can be a bit laggy at times, but I expect that, working remotely.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

DigiCorn

Have you tried PC Anywhere?

:lmao:
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway