Watch yer back, Adobe!

Started by Slappy, October 02, 2014, 03:05:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slappy

There's a new kid in town! Affinity Designer, a vector app meant to be an Illustrator killer much like Pixelmator is to Photoshop. For $40, I'll get it, and if they're working on a page layout app as it seems, for home use at least, I'd do that before I'd pay out of pocket for an InDesign subscription.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

born2print

My lips are moving and the sound's coming out
The words are audible but I have my doubts
That you realize what has been said

Joe

Serif? Well I sure as hell hope it is better than some of their other software. Their HTML web site creation software sucks majorly.

But yeah...any competition is great.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Ear

aaahhh there's a new Serif in town. Gonna be a shootout at the CS Corral.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

born2print

Quote from: Ear on October 02, 2014, 03:16:44 PMaaahhh there's a new Serif in town. Gonna be a shootout at the CS Corral.
Ya know, it's a little known fact that the Shootout at the O.K. Corral was originally known as the "Gunfight on Fremont Street" by the local denizens. Upon release of the 1957 film "Gunfight at the O.K. Corral" the American public assumed that name and it still stands today.
My lips are moving and the sound's coming out
The words are audible but I have my doubts
That you realize what has been said

Ear

"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

StudioMonkey

Shootout at the OK Corel Draw :banana:  
Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana

almaink

Why pay anything? This is still free and it's been around for a while now. I don't know why more people don't use it.
http://www.scribus.net/canvas/Scribus
OS10.6.8  OS10.10.5
Windows 10
Cannon C6000
Oce TDS 860
Kodak Digimaster 9110
Don't Crush That Dwarf, Hand Me the Pliers

Made in Taiwan

Scribus is a nice piece of software. But the big advantage of the Adobe products is, that everything is compatible together, for example, you can place a psd-file into InDesign and if you want to make changes to the picture, it takes you only two clicks and you're back in Photoshop to edit the pic. Most of the designers care a lot about time, and in their opinion, Scribus wastes too much of this precious good.

Another thing in Scribus are the output options, an option to output PDF-X1 is still not available (but the developers say it might be available with the next big update to 1.5), other options are only for various PDF-versions as well as for X3. Tried various times to output a CMYK-only PDF, but so far I didn't get deep enough into it to find out how to get this mission accomplished. I guess, once version 1.5 is available, I'll have a look at it again.
Working in Prepress is very difficult. God chose only the best to do this job.

Designia(o_O)

If you're just looking for a Creative Suite for home use, you can download CS2 for free at the Adobe website.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Or you can just use the your credentials from your work CC copy at home. Perfectly legal.
Member #285 - Civilian

Made in Taiwan

But make sure that nobody is using it at work at the same time while you are using it at home, otherwise the big red light starts flashing in Adobe's headquarters.
Working in Prepress is very difficult. God chose only the best to do this job.

Joe

Except their employess think the flashing red light means it's time for a Starbucks break. ;D
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

frailer

Quote from: Designia(o_O) on October 03, 2014, 08:59:17 AMIf you're just looking for a Creative Suite for home use, you can download CS2 for free at the Adobe website.
...love the way they try and dangle an alternative to the low-end user like that; I assume to keep them away from Scribus-style software.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

frailer

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on October 03, 2014, 09:21:17 AMOr you can just use the your credentials from your work CC copy at home. Perfectly legal.
... a gap in my American entertainment culture database. Who is your avatar?
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.