News:

Main Menu

WTF Text

Started by zacgil, March 23, 2015, 02:31:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gig0

Quote from: zacgil on March 27, 2015, 03:25:19 PMDavid - The font is Rokkit and Rokkit Bold

...and the very first Google result shows it's a free font :(

Easily the majority of our Prinergy font problems are because of free fonts downloaded off the web. You're in a tough place because you won't know the outcome until you refine the file. I doubt most customers understand the licencing/permission issues David mentioned, either.

Save yourself the headache and just tell them to outline the fonts. That way when they get the printed piece and they're not happy with the type, it's on them, not you. Then -and only then- you get paid for a reprint. Profit!
Prinergy Evo <option 8> Colorproof XF <option 8> Epson 7800's (shut up) <option 8> Screen Platerite 4200 & Lotem 400  <option 8> Various Konica & OCE digital printers

Joe

That is a Google web font which should NOT be used in print production.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Joe

Quote from: gig0 on March 27, 2015, 03:48:06 PM
Quote from: zacgil on March 27, 2015, 03:25:19 PMDavid - The font is Rokkit and Rokkit Bold

...and the very first Google result shows it's a free font :(

Easily the majority of our Prinergy font problems are because of free fonts downloaded off the web. You're in a tough place because you won't know the outcome until you refine the file. I doubt most customers understand the licencing/permission issues David mentioned, either.

Save yourself the headache and just tell them to outline the fonts. That way when they get the printed piece and they're not happy with the type, it's on them, not you. Then -and only then- you get paid for a reprint. Profit!

Unfortunately this problem doesn't show up at refine. Doesn't even show up in the VPS unless you output the VPS at the same resolution as the plate files and who does that?

abc

Kodak I think posted a knowledgebase article about a google font called 'Roboto'
I guess the same issue might apply to this font if it's from the same source

gig0

Quote from: abc on March 27, 2015, 04:42:33 PMKodak I think posted a knowledgebase article about a google font called 'Roboto'

1000% agree. Our marketing person seems to gravitate towards this font and I always end up outlining it.
Prinergy Evo <option 8> Colorproof XF <option 8> Epson 7800's (shut up) <option 8> Screen Platerite 4200 & Lotem 400  <option 8> Various Konica & OCE digital printers

gig0

Quote from: Joe on March 27, 2015, 04:26:57 PMUnfortunately this problem doesn't show up at refine. Doesn't even show up in the VPS unless you output the VPS at the same resolution as the plate files and who does that?

Yup, hence our conundrum with free google fonts.

Joe

Quote from: abc on March 27, 2015, 04:42:33 PMKodak I think posted a knowledgebase article about a google font called 'Roboto'
I guess the same issue might apply to this font if it's from the same source

Yes they did and they claim to have fixed it in Prinergy 6.1.1 but I haven't got around to updating to it yet.

swampymarsh

At least you can build an Acrobat Pro Preflight Check or a PitStop Pro/Server Action List to warn and or outline any incoming font that matches Roboto or Rokkit etc.

EDIT: The KB article that ABC mentioned can be accessed here if you are a Partner Place member:
https://services.kodak.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/67124/kw/roboto

Farabomb

Somewhat related but last week we had a outlined font go wacky but it was on the customer side, it came in like that. I'm just glad someone noticed it.

We have some very, very picky commercial clients but the absolute worst are the financial clients. The only re-runs we have done in recent memory were their jobs. Insane time demands, picky press approvals and even with a signed sheet they bitch about the smallest things. All for a book that won't even be read and tossed in the garbage. 
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         â€”Benjamin Franklin

My other job

swampymarsh

I always hated doing work for photographers, architects, engineers and related fields. For whatever reason, they always seemed to be more of a PITA than "designers".

David

QuoteThe fonts, including any derivative works, can be bundled, embedded, redistributed and/or sold with any software provided that any reserved names are not used by derivative works.

It does allow embedding, but strangely, it does not say "print" in the list...   dunno
may be part of the problem, not sure.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

zacgil

Had another job go to press last night with the funked up text.  This time it didn't show up on the full res VPS proofs either.  Is my only defense to upgrade my software?  Or get a Tiff Catcher that allows viewing the exact imaged plate?  Can't count on customers to use the right fonts so I can only try to correct them before they go to press.  Which leaves me with outlining all fonts... :banghead:
I am a punky, sophisticated lesbian (or something similar).

Joe

Same font as last time? Can you send me the offending original PDF from this last instance? I'd like to take a look at it.

joe at b4print dot com

Also, you can open the individual one-bit tiffs in Photoshop to view them.

zacgil

This time it was Kalinga, another web only font I believe.

I'll send it over

Good to know about PS though!
I am a punky, sophisticated lesbian (or something similar).

Joe

Hmmmm...

[attachimg=1 width=440]