News:

Main Menu

Humidity Problem

Started by Ear, July 20, 2015, 11:02:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ear

Came in this morning to a "dew condensation" error on my Screen pt-r 8600 platesetter. She won't initialize and says I need to lower the humidity. This is SO Oregon in summer and it's dry as a bone... less than 40% humidity.

I typically leave it on 24/7 but we have been having random power outages so I turned it off for the weekend. I'm guessing the fact that its fans weren't running allowed some condensation in a diode block. I tried running on half-diode mode but it must check all of them on initialize. It says it is in diode block 6.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Farabomb

Any chance you get those big ass desiccant packs with your paper like we do? Maybe toss one of those in there and it will absorb any extra moisture.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         â€”Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Ear

I haven't seen those. They don't need to use moisture control in the west because it is so dry. I'm very surprised that I have this error, because it is not remotely humid here. It must be very sensitive and just have a little condensation on a lens or something. I do not want to try to climb inside and open the printhead.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Joe

Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Ear

Farabomb

Blowtorch?

Taco bell?

Profit?
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         â€”Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Ear

I tried a blow dryer.

Called my tech and he is checking to see if it might be a sensor.

Ear

She's back up and running. I took all the covers off (terminated the interlocks while I was at it - run without covers), put a big fan with a hair dryer behind it, aimed at the printhead. Half hour of that action and it dried out and started up. WOOT

andyfest

Quote from: Ear on July 20, 2015, 11:02:21 AMCame in this morning to a "dew condensation" error on my Screen pt-r 8600 platesetter. She won't initialize and says I need to lower the humidity. This is SO Oregon in summer and it's dry as a bone... less than 40% humidity.

I typically leave it on 24/7 but we have been having random power outages so I turned it off for the weekend. I'm guessing the fact that its fans weren't running allowed some condensation in a diode block. I tried running on half-diode mode but it must check all of them on initialize. It says it is in diode block 6.

Check the readings on all 8 of the dew sensors. If there is one (#6 in your case?) that reads way higher than the rest its likely the sensor that is at fault. A reading of 2 to 13 is normal - 20 and over will give you the warning. We have had 3 of them replaced on our T9000 (Screen 8600) in the last couple of years. It is a real PITA as all of the laser diodes have to be removed to get at the dew sensors. The sequence to check is Offline>Next>Service>OK>8600>Enter>OK>Recording Head Test>OK>Next>Next>Temperature>OK>Next. That should get you to the Test Points (TP - normal is 24-25) and Dew Point Sensors (DE1 to DE8). When done ESC to online menu.
Retired - CS6 on my 2012 gen MacBook Pro

Ear

Thanks for the tip, Andy. I will definitely run that test.

jimking

There's always de-humidifiers one can purchase. However, if the platesetter is in a very large space..............

Ear

True. We really don't have high humidity here... I think it was just that I had it shut down for a couple days... no air flow and the AC was running in the office. A little condensation and it got all belligerent.

born2print

That's my Ear! Can even make a platesetter moist  :shocked:
How will I laugh tomorrow...
when I can't even smile today?

Ear

Quote from: born2print on July 22, 2015, 01:50:43 PMThat's my Ear! Can even make a platesetter moist  :shocked:
... be all like "hey baby, are your diodes thermal? cuz you're makin' me hot. :naughty:"

born2print

Wanna raster my pixels? :naughty:
How will I laugh tomorrow...
when I can't even smile today?