News:

Main Menu

Windows 8.1 /10

Started by DigiCorn, September 20, 2015, 11:34:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farabomb

Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Made in Taiwan

Did I not write "watch a DVD"?  :banana:
Working in Prepress is very difficult. God chose only the best to do this job.

Farabomb

Too much evidence for me, I just go find it.

Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

I've never had any issues with VLC. It will play almost any kind of file imaginable. I'd give it another try with Win 10.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Joe

Here is a tip if you are buying a new PC and want Windows 10...

Buy one that has Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 installed on it. All of the manufacturers load their name brand PC's with a lot trialware and bloatware that no one in there right mind needs or wants. The goal here is to get a FREE clean install of Windows without all the crap manufacturers put on them. If you buy a PC that already has Windows 10 on it...well sorry but I think you're stuck with it.

Once booted up activate the version of Windows that came with the PC if it isn't already activated and then go to this Microsoft link:

Windows 10 Upgrade

On that page, under "Upgrade" click the button that says "Get Started". That will download a file named "GWXWebWindows.exe". Run it and follow the instructions. You'll eventually get to the where it is downloading Windows 10. When it is done it will start the installer and you will get the chance to tell it what to keep from the PC you are using (the new one loaded with trial and bloat ware). Tell it to keep nothing. This will wipe everything away and install a pristine copy of Windows 10 that will already be activated when the install is done.

I just did this on two Acer Inspire PC's that came with Windows 8.1 on them loaded with crap and it worked great. Now they are both useable PCs that have zero trialware, bloatware and crapware on them.

David

Quote from: Joe on October 09, 2015, 10:35:16 PMNow they are both useable PCs that have zero trialware, bloatware and crapware on them.

now that's just plain wrong...  nobody wants a usable pc...

:rotf:
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Joe

Come on...I was expecting the first reply to be someone saying Windows 10 is crapware! :rotf:

David

missed it by that much...
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Made in Taiwan

Usually the crapware is sitting in front of the computer...  :cane:
Working in Prepress is very difficult. God chose only the best to do this job.

Farabomb

Only in the sales office.

and management.

CSR's

ok, everywhere but most of prepress.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

DigiCorn

I am now running 10 on 2 of my 4 machines at home. It fucking wiped out all my apps that weren't MS, so I lost InDesign and Acrobat (full version) but I was able to rescue Illy and PhotoShop (I shouldn't have them anyway). Other than the fact that Defender fucking tries to erase every .nzb I download, I like it. I like it a lot.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Farabomb

I did have one friend mention something about it searching your drives for illegal files. That's why he won't install it.

That's why I'm installing 7 and 8.1 on 2 of the old boxes here.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

DigiCorn

10 is a bitch. It's a real bastard and fights nzbs with a passion. Hard to keep up on stuff (I don't want to pay for).
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway