Preps 7 Form naming

Started by MKrazy, February 09, 2016, 11:02:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MKrazy

I've seen a thread about form naming with Preps 7, but can't find it now. Can someone point me in the right direction? We currently use $sig, which works well when sections run in order, but our Wizard Planners love to mix things up, so I'm trying to find a naming convention that will use the form/sheet number instead of the section number.
I live by Murphy's Law - I'm sure he must have been in printing.

Joe

Are you using it with Prinergy or stand alone. Prinergy gives you more options than what are available in Preps. Also you can download the User Guide for Preps 7 from the Partner Place. If you can't get to it let me know and I'll post it up here.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

MKrazy

Running with Prinergy 7. Discovered that it just needed the brackets for entire different result. $[sig] will give the actual form number from Prinergy's Signature window instead of the bindery sig. Have the manual, thanks. Found the "Text-mark variables" section somewhat vague. Thanks, again!

Joe

Yeah the one with the brackets are the Prinergy ones I believe.

MKrazy

That's the conclusion we are coming up with. Wish THAT was explained in the "thorough" training provided by Kodak...they just seemed to selling the folding patterns, which we are still trying to work for us as a custom printer, periodically, with multiple folding patterns on the same press sheet.

Farabomb

Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         â€”Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Folding patterns are OK for simple sheet fed jobs but templates are easier and are always there without having to re-invent the wheel every time we impose a job.

They do recommend not mixing Preps variable marks and Prinergy variable marks on the same template. Not sure if the world will explode or what if you do though.

MKrazy

We're mixing the variable marks unintentionally and seems ok so far.

Farabomb...isn't a 2 day, 7 hour per day, conference phone call with trainer and 2 other companies, with hourly breaks and lunch considered training? Oh yeah, and the Preps training was a week before Prinergy was upgraded, so all in stand-alone demo mode. But I'm sure it was the same for everyone with the upgrade. Hence, the silly questions I've been asking.

Joe

Quote from: MKrazy on February 12, 2016, 09:56:26 PMWe're mixing the variable marks unintentionally and seems ok so far.

Farabomb...isn't a 2 day, 7 hour per day, conference phone call with trainer and 2 other companies, with hourly breaks and lunch considered training? Oh yeah, and the Preps training was a week before Prinergy was upgraded, so all in stand-alone demo mode. But I'm sure it was the same for everyone with the upgrade. Hence, the silly questions I've been asking.

And I'll bet that wasn't cheap either!

Farabomb

Considering I had to tell the techs how to set up the epson after 2 days of them trying (google is a wonderful thing) I kinda gave up on the whole training thing and figured it out myself.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         â€”Benjamin Franklin

My other job