My fellow geeks, I need PC building advice

Started by Farabomb, December 27, 2016, 10:18:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farabomb

The main reason is the privacy issues in Win10. I have TONS of data from all the way back to 98 and I don't want anything to go missing because M$ thought I shouldn't have it. I may just have to buy a new computer and migrate only select things and keep the rest to my isolated XP boxes and such.

Part of the reason is I want to play Project Cars that won't run on my core duo because it's not 3g (though I've clocked it over that before, hmm maybe I'll try that tonight.) and I want to try Player Unknown's Battlegrounds.

Not that it matters much, I have so many games I haven't finished for many consoles and PC that I could not but another game and still be playing "new" games 10 years in the future.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

delooch

i dont think ive ever finished a game except for the Quake series.. trying to complete alien isolation still because i keep forgetting what the hell i was doing last time i played.

i play project cars on the xbone, its one of the better ones out there. that and Forza Horizon.  Waiting for Dirt4 to come out in a couple of weeks.

i was mostly console gaming, but i love tinkering with shit, so im slowly migrating my way back. Asseto Corsa is one of those games on PC that you can mod the hell out of.

DigiCorn

I've pretty much had my identity stolen like four different times now, and I'm so on top of it. I stopped all the breaches and had the issues corrected, so I really don't have issues with being "out there," and whatnot. At home, I'm always on the newest updates and leaving computers on, etc. There's nothing of value there anyway. I check my credit report regularly, and because of an issue with my taxes and identity theft, all my accounts are voluntarily frozen through each of the credit bureaus. I have an above average credit score, and all my online stuff has double verification, so I have to approve logins via my cell phone before getting into online banking or emails. In the past 6 months pretty much every online account I have has had a hack attempt and they were all stopped before the intruder got access. I regularly change passwords, and that's about all you can do, other than not take part in society. I know the risks... call me stupid, but I really don't have any issues with it. W10 is the best release they've ever had, and I know there's better ways to use it than what I do with it. The bar computer is totally a media station.

Most of the console games I play are sports games, but I dig any adventure type like Mario, Conker, Banjo, etc. On the bar computer, it's mostly 80s arcade classics and Duke Nuke'Em.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Tracy

We recently got Lifelock, I feel a bit safer with it.
They even notified me of someone hacking my Linked in Password.

I'm one of those paranoid of the internet people, I still write checks.
with the Lifelock I do feel a bit safer tho.

Joe

Quote from: Farabomb on May 31, 2017, 11:14:24 AMThe main reason is the privacy issues in Win10. I have TONS of data from all the way back to 98 and I don't want anything to go missing because M$ thought I shouldn't have it. I may just have to buy a new computer and migrate only select things and keep the rest to my isolated XP boxes and such.

Part of the reason is I want to play Project Cars that won't run on my core duo because it's not 3g (though I've clocked it over that before, hmm maybe I'll try that tonight.) and I want to try Player Unknown's Battlegrounds.

Not that it matters much, I have so many games I haven't finished for many consoles and PC that I could not but another game and still be playing "new" games 10 years in the future.

If you're worried about privacy you should unplug every device in your house. :rotf:

As far as MS removing things....it does not remove your data. Just applications that it deems are not compatible. Of course always backup everything before you install a new OS on any device because bad things can happen at any time with any OS.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigiCorn

Quote from: Tracy on May 31, 2017, 12:09:06 PMWe recently got Lifelock, I feel a bit safer with it.

WTF is a check?
Quote from: Joe on May 31, 2017, 12:11:00 PM
Quote from: Farabomb on May 31, 2017, 11:14:24 AMThe main reason is the privacy issues in Win10. I have TONS of data from all the way back to 98 and I don't want anything to go missing because M$ thought I shouldn't have it. I may just have to buy a new computer and migrate only select things and keep the rest to my isolated XP boxes and such.

If you're worried about privacy you should unplug every device in your house. :rotf:

As far as MS removing things....it does not remove your data. Just applications that it deems are not compatible. Of course always backup everything before you install a new OS on any device because bad things can happen at any time with any OS.
MS 8 to 10 upgrade removed all my Adobe CS 5.5 products
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

Quote from: DigiCorn on May 31, 2017, 12:31:25 PM
Quote from: Tracy on May 31, 2017, 12:09:06 PMWe recently got Lifelock, I feel a bit safer with it.

WTF is a check?
Quote from: Joe on May 31, 2017, 12:11:00 PM

MS 8 to 10 upgrade removed all my Adobe CS 5.5 products

Yes...applications it deemed not compatible.

Farabomb

I'm not worried all that much about identity theft. I try and be as secure as I can be. I know I've been listening too much to my overly paranoid friend and I really shouldn't. The fact the NSA and M$ were in bed with each other and didn't attempt to keep it a secret bothers me for some reason though.

Yes I have tape over all my webcams. One of the people I used to work with actually got busted for "hacking" people's cams (more of a script kiddie, he really didn't have the knowledge to really hack a system) so I'm a little bothered by that. I do have to upgrade my computer soon though. It works fine and will be migrated upstairs to watch TV on since I've had 3 laptops die in the last 6 months. I just need to avoid my normal modus operandi of buying a step down from the bleeding edge, screwing around with it heavily for a month or 2 then leaving it alone.

Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

pspdfppdfxhd

pspdfppdfxhd

pspdfppdfxhd

Sorry to highjack this thread, haven't had time to figure this out (embedding pictures in the post). Last one, I promise.

Farabomb

I certainly don't mind. Have at it man.

I'm here beating my head against WordPress.

Also trying to figure out what version of Office 365 is best. I really don't like the subscription BS. I just need outlook and office apps. Why do I need to pay for it monthly?

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Quote from: Farabomb on June 01, 2017, 10:23:07 AMI certainly don't mind. Have at it man.

I'm here beating my head against WordPress.

Also trying to figure out what version of Office 365 is best. I really don't like the subscription BS. I just need outlook and office apps. Why do I need to pay for it monthly?

Just get the normal Microsoft Office 2016 Home and Business. $209.99 and no subscription.

Joe