Recent

Author Topic: Split already imposed book to single pages  (Read 6813 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Joe

  • Master of Nothing
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Warlord
  • *****
  • Posts: 37196
  • Gender: Male
    • B4Print.com
Re: Split already imposed book to single pages
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2017, 08:51:52 AM »
I wonder how many total pages there are. Being perfect bound I would guess quite a few so doing it in InDesign would work but might be very time consuming. Split pages in Pitstop might work to split the flats in half where they are head to head and then split them again where the spreads fold but then you are going to end up with pages that aren't centered and not rotated correctly so then those all have to be fixed manually as well. I still think I would just do it InDesign. There should be page trim marks on the flats so positioning shouldn't be hard. At least then you will get pages sized and rotated correctly. I would shoot them a high hourly price to do it and then sit back and take your time.
Mac OS 10.14.6 Mojave | Prinergy 8.2 | Adobe Creative Cloud 2019 | Two Luscher XPose 160 CTP units

Prepress: One who does precision guess work based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

Offline wonderings

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 377
Re: Split already imposed book to single pages
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2017, 11:57:05 AM »
Quote from: Joe link=msg=290459 date=1493902312

I wonder how many total pages there are. Being perfect bound I would guess quite a few so doing it in InDesign would work but might be very time consuming. Split pages in Pitstop might work to split the flats in half where they are head to head and then split them again where the spreads fold but then you are going to end up with pages that aren't centered and not rotated correctly so then those all have to be fixed manually as well. I still think I would just do it InDesign. There should be page trim marks on the flats so positioning shouldn't be hard. At least then you will get pages sized and rotated correctly. I would shoot them a high hourly price to do it and then sit back and take your time.


That is what we do if it gets large. I can quickly fix a smaller book (32 page) in about 5 minutes or so. Just set the indesign document with 32 pages with facing pages. Add all pages and just quickly centre on each page. Export as PDF single pages and you are set to go. A lot of times you just need to tell the designer how to send it in properly, if they do not seem to care letting them know there is an additional setup charge now for files not print ready usually wakes them up, especially considering it is one box to check when exporting as PDF.

Offline Farabomb

  • #NoLivesMatter
  • Supreme Ninja
  • ***
  • Posts: 17245
  • Gender: Male
  • Wait, what?
    • My other job
Re: Split already imposed book to single pages
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2017, 12:04:19 PM »
You assume they know what the output options mean.

I love it when I get every singe mark avilable... all .0023 from the trim.  :shoots_self:
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear date=1459965256 link=msg=278846
Quote from: Farabomb date=1459964381 link=msg=278844
It's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Offline wonderings

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 377
Re: Split already imposed book to single pages
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2017, 02:41:47 PM »
Quote from: Farabomb link=msg=290466 date=1493913859

You assume they know what the output options mean.

I love it when I get every singe mark avilable... all .0023 from the trim.  :shoots_self:


I swear designers think it makes them look more professional and knowledgeable if they check everything.

Offline DigiCorn

  • Terrorizing humans since 1971
  • Supreme Ninja
  • ***
  • Posts: 15227
  • Gender: Male
  • There is no Dana, only Zul!
    • Clerks.
Re: Split already imposed book to single pages
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2017, 02:52:48 PM »
Quote from: StudioMonkey date=1493892190 link=msg=290454

If these are the only files the client has, this is due to one of two reasons;
1) these are the only files supplied to the client by the designer
2) these are the first files they find and they can't be arsed to look properly

1) raises a question - why would the designer supply the client with imposed files?  Unless of course they got all the job files, which leads us back to 2)

BTW I would crop the pages down to single pages and reimpose in InDesign

Yeah - set up the new size individual pages in spreads (facing pages) and use the multipage import pdf script. You will have to fix the OFC and OBC manually, but as long as the original document is reader spreads and not printer spreads it should work like a charm and be finished very quickly. Bleed could be a bit trickier though, depending on the bleed.
"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

“Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Offline Joe

  • Master of Nothing
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Warlord
  • *****
  • Posts: 37196
  • Gender: Male
    • B4Print.com
Re: Split already imposed book to single pages
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2017, 02:54:30 PM »
Quote from: DigiCorn date=1493923968 link=msg=290485

Quote from: StudioMonkey date=1493892190 link=msg=290454

If these are the only files the client has, this is due to one of two reasons;
1) these are the only files supplied to the client by the designer
2) these are the first files they find and they can't be arsed to look properly

1) raises a question - why would the designer supply the client with imposed files?  Unless of course they got all the job files, which leads us back to 2)

BTW I would crop the pages down to single pages and reimpose in InDesign

Yeah - set up the new size individual pages in spreads (facing pages) and use the multipage import pdf script. You will have to fix the OFC and OBC manually, but as long as the original document is reader spreads and not printer spreads it should work like a charm and be finished very quickly. Bleed could be a bit trickier though, depending on the bleed.


It is 4 page flats where the two individual spreads are printer spreads.
Mac OS 10.14.6 Mojave | Prinergy 8.2 | Adobe Creative Cloud 2019 | Two Luscher XPose 160 CTP units

Prepress: One who does precision guess work based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

Offline DigiCorn

  • Terrorizing humans since 1971
  • Supreme Ninja
  • ***
  • Posts: 15227
  • Gender: Male
  • There is no Dana, only Zul!
    • Clerks.
Re: Split already imposed book to single pages
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2017, 03:16:52 PM »
Quote from: Joe date=1493924070 link=msg=290486

Quote from: DigiCorn date=1493923968 link=msg=290485

Quote from: StudioMonkey date=1493892190 link=msg=290454

If these are the only files the client has, this is due to one of two reasons;
1) these are the only files supplied to the client by the designer
2) these are the first files they find and they can't be arsed to look properly

1) raises a question - why would the designer supply the client with imposed files?  Unless of course they got all the job files, which leads us back to 2)

BTW I would crop the pages down to single pages and reimpose in InDesign

Yeah - set up the new size individual pages in spreads (facing pages) and use the multipage import pdf script. You will have to fix the OFC and OBC manually, but as long as the original document is reader spreads and not printer spreads it should work like a charm and be finished very quickly. Bleed could be a bit trickier though, depending on the bleed.


It is 4 page flats where the two individual spreads are printer spreads.

bogus!
"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

“Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Offline Diddler

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 497
  • Gender: Male
  • But it looks ‘FINE’ on my screen
Re: Split already imposed book to single pages
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2017, 09:07:10 PM »
Thanks for the input folks. But I think this 104pp book can't be done. Yes i have tried to go down the pitstop path but things got messy. The Indesign option was the easiest but after doing 28pp as a test the line ups just weren't close enough. It has hairline rules going across pages all the way through the book. I'm going to admit defeat on this one, I just don't have the time/days available to get this to work.

Oh and BTW on the side of the imposed PDF is another print companies logo. 

Now time to tell the Sales Rep. 
Which I know the answer again will be "just make it work" 
:facepalm:
You can’t polish a Turd, but you can roll it in glitter!

Offline Joe

  • Master of Nothing
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Warlord
  • *****
  • Posts: 37196
  • Gender: Male
    • B4Print.com
Re: Split already imposed book to single pages
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2017, 09:21:26 PM »
Hey can you send me one of the PDF flats to test something? I have an idea with a new feature in Pitstop 2017. Just send a link to joe at b4print dot com if possible.
Mac OS 10.14.6 Mojave | Prinergy 8.2 | Adobe Creative Cloud 2019 | Two Luscher XPose 160 CTP units

Prepress: One who does precision guess work based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

Offline Diddler

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 497
  • Gender: Male
  • But it looks ‘FINE’ on my screen
Re: Split already imposed book to single pages
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2017, 12:36:52 AM »
Quote from: Joe date=1493947286 link=msg=290519

Hey can you send me one of the PDF flats to test something? I have an idea with a new feature in Pitstop 2017. Just send a link to joe at b4print dot com if possible.

Done 
You can’t polish a Turd, but you can roll it in glitter!

Offline StudioMonkey

  • Mostly Harmless
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 569
  • It's bad luck to be superstitious . . .
Re: Split already imposed book to single pages
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2017, 05:21:27 AM »
Quote from: Diddler date=1493946430 link=msg=290518

Thanks for the input folks. But I think this 104pp book can't be done. Yes i have tried to go down the pitstop path but things got messy. The Indesign option was the easiest but after doing 28pp as a test the line ups just weren't close enough. It has hairline rules going across pages all the way through the book. I'm going to admit defeat on this one, I just don't have the time/days available to get this to work.

Oh and BTW on the side of the imposed PDF is another print companies logo.

Now time to tell the Sales Rep.
Which I know the answer again will be "just make it work"
:facepalm:

Find them. Call them up.  They may be OK sending you the original files or PDFs.  Even for a small fee, its better than you wasting your time.  And it makes the job doable.
Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana

Offline Joe

  • Master of Nothing
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Warlord
  • *****
  • Posts: 37196
  • Gender: Male
    • B4Print.com
Re: Split already imposed book to single pages
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2017, 09:21:56 AM »
The other printer probably got stiffed. Would we do that if another printer called up asking for the files? Not on your life.
Mac OS 10.14.6 Mojave | Prinergy 8.2 | Adobe Creative Cloud 2019 | Two Luscher XPose 160 CTP units

Prepress: One who does precision guess work based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

Offline Farabomb

  • #NoLivesMatter
  • Supreme Ninja
  • ***
  • Posts: 17245
  • Gender: Male
  • Wait, what?
    • My other job
Re: Split already imposed book to single pages
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2017, 09:28:31 AM »
We'd give up the files.

For the full cost of the job plus an added asshole fee.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear date=1459965256 link=msg=278846
Quote from: Farabomb date=1459964381 link=msg=278844
It's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Offline Joe

  • Master of Nothing
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Warlord
  • *****
  • Posts: 37196
  • Gender: Male
    • B4Print.com
Re: Split already imposed book to single pages
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2017, 09:29:21 AM »
Quote from: Farabomb date=1493990911 link=msg=290530

We'd give up the files.

For the full cost of the job plus an added asshole fee.


Well yeah...we're stubborn but not stupid. :rotf:
Mac OS 10.14.6 Mojave | Prinergy 8.2 | Adobe Creative Cloud 2019 | Two Luscher XPose 160 CTP units

Prepress: One who does precision guess work based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

Offline Farabomb

  • #NoLivesMatter
  • Supreme Ninja
  • ***
  • Posts: 17245
  • Gender: Male
  • Wait, what?
    • My other job
Re: Split already imposed book to single pages
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2017, 10:18:49 AM »
Prepress may not be stupid but I'm not sure about upper management.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear date=1459965256 link=msg=278846
Quote from: Farabomb date=1459964381 link=msg=278844
It's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job