Thoughts on Cannon Imagepress C750

Started by Santa, June 13, 2017, 09:17:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Santa

We have always been a traditional offset shop here, lots of 12-24 pt SBS and die cutting. Starting to look at the big toner machines as there is a local need here and we have been growing a decent side business with it.

Put in a Sharp office copier and we have it up to 20K per month both B&W and 20K per month color.

Looking at the Cannon, and waiting on a proposal from both Sharp and Xerox.

Main thing will be programs, short run 8.5 x 11 newsletters,Presentations, Instruction sheets, NCR

We do a lot of retail display work so maybe some price cards.

So anybody have experience with this guy?

Any particular one I should be looking at?

We are about 16 miles out side of NYC in NJ so service coverage has never been an issue but curious as to the level of service from Cannon.

Farabomb

I personally don't run the machine but I have a imagepress in the building. The techs are here often, color can be wonky. We had one run on friday and I was told color was all over the place but I don't know if that's the boss's oversensitive eye or the machine. I hear the operator cursing at it often, it's not a complete week if I don't hear a Fbomb from behind the divider.

As long as the customers aren't picky and haven't googled 4over yet, it should do fine.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Santa

Appreciate the feedback. We position this as a cost effective alternative when customers cant afford offset pricing, or if it needs a quicker turn than 4over. We found that our clients will pay a few extra bucks for the service and record keeping we do.  Can't tell you how many "buyers" tell us "same thing you did last time"

Any idea how many clicks per month they run?  We average 20k for both B&W and color per month and if it went to 60-80K per month we would be amazed so just trying to make sure we are looking at the right machine.

Farabomb

He said the smaller machines run slower on cover weight than text. Also they consider clicks a 8.5x11 and he runs a 19x13.

Basically the long and short of it if you're planning on running it hard, get a bigger machine. His doesn't care about stock, runs the same either way. The smaller ones can run all day but realize thicker stock does slow them down.

I also have a friend that is an copier repair man. I can ask him about the canons.

Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Farabomb

Exact quote from him. "I despise Canon. Plastic garbage voodoo machines."

He services them all and used to work for Minolta. Take with a grain of salt seeing as I think they're all plastic garbage.

That being said that piece of garbage is running right now and my big hunk of steel isn't.  :( 

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Farabomb

He also told me his company does loners for a month if you want to try a machine out. Not sure where his shop if but he lives in Belleville so he's local. PM me if you would like his info.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Santa

Appreciate all the info....I too believe they are "plastic" and look at them accordingly.

So far I have the Cannon proposal
Waiting on Xerox (Have a cousin who is a big wig there)
Sharp

It's gonna come down to bang for the buck but none of the machines I'm looking at lease for more than 1K a month so were not sweating it too hard.

Santa

So we ran the tables with every vendor and looks like we are going with a Ricoh C7100 with 5th color.  We liked the oversized sheet ability 13 x 27.5 as well as the white and clear toner. It's going to be me doing pre-press and running the digital "press"...benefits of being the "young" (I'm 46) brother.

Farabomb

There is NO benefit of being the younger brother. Shit rolls downhill and guess who's at the bottom.

Good to hear you're investing on new equipment, that's a good sign. You guys hiring?  ;D

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

DigiCorn

After dealing with a DocuColor for years, I would have voted Canon over Xerox for sure. But we just got a Versant, and with the self-calibrating paper backup feature alone, it makes it way better than anything I've ever used.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Santa

hahah Farabomb...aint that the truth. Valley is where I Iive..and the shit tastes old and stale..lol

We are down in Lodi, but I drive hear everyday from West Milford. I plan on extra help being a when not an if but right now it's a long when...but you will be a first call.

DigiCorn...we actually went with Ricoh..might cause a samll family rift..but we liked their machine the best in the price range we were looking.

wonderings

Quote from: DigiCorn on December 11, 2017, 11:45:56 AMAfter dealing with a DocuColor for years, I would have voted Canon over Xerox for sure. But we just got a Versant, and with the self-calibrating paper backup feature alone, it makes it way better than anything I've ever used.

Have had a Versant 2100 for about 2 years now, it is an incredible machine. Consistent stable colours, the built in array is great for calibrations of both colour, density and alignment.