Hold one Sig Side for output

Started by Slappy, January 05, 2018, 07:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slappy

Long shot on a Friday eve, just got a call about a job with 9 total Sigs, 2 new pages coming in but the plating guy is starting up early Sat morning. I don't see a way to Hold just one side of the 2 sigs in question - is that even possible? If not, I'll just have him pull the Sigs that need correcting & we'll re-plate them Monday.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

Slappy

I "lucked out" and got the new pages Friday night, remoted in & updated the layout but still curious if this is a possibility.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

frailer

I hope I understand what you were trying to do, Slappy, but as we release our own plates, I guess we're not in a situation where we need to dummy-proof it; (well, we qualify to a degree, but we're our own, known idiots).

Here's what I think I'd be doing, but may be barking up the wrong tree.

First, I'd go to the affected page(s), and do a Replace with Unmapped Page. That side cannot now be plated. If it were a Blank page replacement, it *could* be output; not a good thing, of course. So 'Unmapped Pages are a handy show-stopper.

Then, on the Monday, you'd come in, bring your new pages in and drop over the top of the Unmapped Page icon(s), and, as Billy in the Street would say..."away...we...go!"

Shot 2 shows the accessible-now 'Hold" button, as it's seen the Unmapped page, and giving you options... the 2 grey cog buttons in shot 3 indicate it's a WIP, and going nowhere...

Saturday Sam would not be able to release that surface (Sig...if you like). If he tries anything else in your absence, well...

Does this help at all?  :undecided:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Slappy

Yes, that's perfect!! I don't know that this would be a common thing, as we don't normally run part of a job & then come back for the rest, but the busier we become and add a true 2nd shift I'd like to have options. I'll have to find the XMF Feature Request (if it exists) and drop something more polished in their Inbox. Thx man!

frailer

TBH, I think if you try to simplify it further it may bite you later. Using selected Unmapped Pages means no-one can output plates from that Surface/Sheet. If they choose to do something else later, and replace page(s), then that's outa your hands.

If I was looking over my shoulder at a 2nd shift, or a Saturday Sam, that's how I'd do it. Your arse is covered.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

Slappy

All true. Just to clarify, it wont Fail the Output, just not release those particular sigs correct? I'd imagine a Warning or something will show up in the Job Log, but nobody ever looks at those anyway.

Ear

Yes, Slappy, you can release specific sigs and sides. Often, with a hot tabloid, I will even release a side to the platesetter as the RIP is still rendering other sigs in the same job.

Select the job and you will see the plate surfaces listed. You can select one surface or multiple, then right-click and say "release surface". The other surfaces will remain held. You can also use this to "re-release surface", in case a pressman needs a new plate, etc...
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

frailer

Actually, it remains not fully tested, and am wondering if on the recent giant leap in XMF whether this has changed.

Now not sure if having an Unmapped Page is still a show-stopper. (see screenshot). In the past, I *think* it has been.  :undecided:

More later... but the icon for the Unmapped Page should alert anyone about to output plates... should. But may not...

Shall ask further this end...

Slappy

Quote from: Ear on January 08, 2018, 04:44:53 PMYes, Slappy, you can release specific sigs and sides. Often, with a hot tabloid, I will even release a side to the platesetter as the RIP is still rendering other sigs in the same job.

Select the job and you will see the plate surfaces listed. You can select one surface or multiple, then right-click and say "release surface". The other surfaces will remain held. You can also use this to "re-release surface", in case a pressman needs a new plate, etc...
Ear, that I've used - if I'm the one doing plates. The night guy, who is essentially a single-button-pusher, I needed a way to let him release the entire job even if it's not 100% assembled.

I'm not sure if the Press Op has used the single side/single color re-image yet but I'm guessing not. Reminds me, I need to make a pictorial How To for some of these functions so they can (hopefully) navigate without asking every single time.

Ear

Man, single-button-pushers are damn dangerous to have in this environment. There are too many variables for someone to need a hand holder or cheat sheet.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

frailer

Had the impression he was one of 'those guys'. ::)   Yep, they are the proverbial accident-waiting-to-happen.

Once it's anything more than a complete job for straight up release...dangerous.

Ear

Yep. And around here, almost nothing is straightforward. 

Slappy

I originally had that account locked down so ALL they could do was preview & output plates, and I was pressured into giving Full Rights by the Plant Manager. Told him, WITH witnesses present, that I'd do it and the very first time something got deleted or horribly fucked up because they randomly clicked too many buttons, it's on him. And I can look at the Logs to tell too. Just a matter of time now...

:popcorn:

Ear

I have made it very clear that: whosoever burneth the plate is solely responsible for making sure he burned the right thing (with client approval, of course).

I've had coworkers release incomplete impos or things that needed corrections. I didn't burn the plate, not my fault. I even put a sign up on the plate queue saying: 

Are you SURE you are ready to burn that plate? 'cause it's on YOU after this point.  :evil: