Setup for new EPSON

Started by pspdfppdfxhd, February 14, 2018, 12:36:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pspdfppdfxhd

Boss says he's fed up with our proofer and is getting a new EPSON.

Salesman says, you have fiery XF, most shops set these up themselves.

Boss says "Can you setup this proofer by yourself?". I say no. We don't have the measurement tools, knowledge etc. to do this. Makes me feel dumb.

Am I missing something here? I doubt it

DigiCorn

Super easy to setup and configure, BUT you're gonna want a color guy come out and profile it for you BEFORE you start proofing to customers. IF you have an Eye-1, you CAN color profile it yourself, but you have to have software to do this, and chances are you don't own the software. ALSO, I have done this way of profiling myself, and it is in no way, shape or form as good as having a real color guy do it for you. A good color guy will probably run you about $5,000 total. Try Terrance Wyse.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

pspdfppdfxhd

Yes, well the salesman want's to sell us the Epson.

Of course it virtually works by itself right out of the box. (prepress guy must be dumb if he can't make work right?)

The color guy will cost more that the printer. But I already knew that.

:drunk3:

wonderings

When we bought our Epson 9900 setup was included in the price and was certainly not $5000, that would have been almost half the bill which included the RIP and setup of 2 profiles.

If you are having headaches with your current product why would your boss want to skimp when it comes to a new one rather then have it setup properly to hopefully avoid more headaches down the line?

Farabomb

I agree that the color guy is the "right" way.

I also haven't been able to do anything the "right" way here, ever so yeah you can probably get it to work but don't expect it to be dead nuts color correct. Mind you I had to set up the epson here when the Kodak techs couldn't figure out how to assign it an IP. @ days of back and forth with their guys and nothing. I got bored and googled it. 15 minutes later I have it discoverable on the network and the install techs were amazed. Mind you at the time Kodak sold the exact same 9800 as their proofing solution...

I think I got the FNG's for the install.

Wonderings, I wish I worked at your shop. The concept of the "right way" didn't exist at the last 2 places I worked.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

pspdfppdfxhd

Quote from: wonderings on February 14, 2018, 01:32:07 PMWhen we bought our Epson 9900 setup was included in the price and was certainly not $5000, that would have been almost half the bill which included the RIP and setup of 2 profiles.

If you are having headaches with your current product why would your boss want to skimp when it comes to a new one rather then have it setup properly to hopefully avoid more headaches down the line?

Exactly. If the salesman hasn't hopelessly brainwashed him than that's the gist of what he has to understand.

pspdfppdfxhd

If you had 2 profiles included, what would you choose?

Joe

Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigiCorn

Quote from: pspdfppdfxhd on February 14, 2018, 01:52:14 PMIf you had 2 profiles included, what would you choose?
A career in ______________ (not prepress).
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

wonderings

Quote from: pspdfppdfxhd on February 14, 2018, 01:52:14 PMIf you had 2 profiles included, what would you choose?

They were profiles for stocks. We really only use one an 8mil photo satin paper. I did have a canvas profiled as I wanted to try and get into that a but, but nobody seems to want that and the price for changing over between the two blacks and the lack of work for canvas would make it very expensive.

pspdfppdfxhd

I mean can't they make a coated and uncoated profile on the same paper?

OR for the uncoated, would everything have to be tagged as uncoated in the pdf when sending.

pspdfppdfxhd

I just be wondering......

Could you control 2 inkjets on 1 fiery XF licencse?

DigiCorn

By the book, no. Technically, yes, tho, but you can only operate one at a time.
[edit] and you have to have the right license. They are based on size. A M license won't operate and run an XL proofer for example.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

AaronH

A trained color guy is super helpful. I tried to follow the instruction manual for our Oris RIP for our Epson 9900 and couldn't get the printer reference profile setup properly. I had to go back to our previous reference profile which for some reason is getting worse and worse with each calibration. It also calls for a different type of paper than what we've always had in the Epson, so that's confusing. Basically our proofs are getting more and more red or "hot" as the pressmen like to call them, yet when I scan a swatch test through our G7 software, everything always comes back ok. Something seems up.

Anyhow, now I'm trying to convince my boss that we need Oris training in addition to the Fuji tech coming out to certify us for G7 for the coming year. Our certification is due at the end of March and we're humming and hawwing it (like last year, and we were two months late on certification)  :shoots_self:
Mac & Windows | XMF | Fiery | Oris

DigiCorn

Back when I had the 7880 and I was goofing around with the profiling software before the color guy came out. I think we had an already outdated version of ProfileMaker. I ran all the swatches for the Eye-1, which is a pain because you have to scan thousands of patches by hand and the spectrophotometer isn't as good as what they have. Plus, it can take hours. The color guy showed up (we used Lou Prestia out of Oakland), and he had an automated robotic scanner that was not just far more accurate at reading patches, but it scanned far more patches in a far shorter period of time. His profiles kicked my profiles respective asses (we did a coated profile and an uncoated profile for a 7880 and a 10600). It's all about how many swatches can you read in. The more you can scan in, the better your profile will be, and in turn, the more accurate your color will be.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway