September 20, 2018, 01:51:50 PM

xx
Illustrator for prepress.
by swampymarsh
September 18, 2018, 03:32:12 AM

Topic: Setup for new EPSON (Read 907 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Setup for new EPSON

Reply #15
Dumb question here from a guy who should know this better, but, can you do an uncoated proof workflow on  the same satin paper as the coated workflow?

Like showing how the gracol coated file would look with an uncoated intent, with ink limit reduced, etc.

Reply #16
Our previous color guy (now promoted so we're getting a new one), said it was possible with Oris, but most shops that do it just have a separate profile that was basically just a cutback on ink. I'm not sure what software you're using to run the Epson so that might be a limitation. Not sure though.

Reply #17
Dumb question here from a guy who should know this better, but, can you do an uncoated proof workflow on  the same satin paper as the coated workflow?

Like showing how the gracol coated file would look with an uncoated intent, with ink limit reduced, etc.
I believe so. It just dulls it back a bit.
"I'm not addicted to cocaine. I just like the way it smells."
– Richard Pryor

“Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Reply #18
Our previous color guy (now promoted so we're getting a new one), said it was possible with Oris, but most shops that do it just have a separate profile that was basically just a cutback on ink. I'm not sure what software you're using to run the Epson so that might be a limitation. Not sure though.

EFI Fiery XF.

Reply #19

I believe so. It just dulls it back a bit.
Actually, having a flashback to many years ago. Technically, if you use the Epson coated paper, and have calibrated and profiled properly, it should show a better representation of uncoated reproduction better than if you run the proof on Epson uncoated paper.

We never ran Epson paper; we ran Alameda, but it's pretty damn good too. Not 100% dead on balls accurate, but real damned close.
"I'm not addicted to cocaine. I just like the way it smells."
– Richard Pryor

“Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Reply #20
Ok ownersip pulled the trigger. Brand new Epson 6000 coming in next week. The fun never stops.

Reply #21
congrats on your new job....

:sarcasm:
Prepress guy - doin' jobs one at a time

Reply #22
We use the efi xf server for our 9900 epson and we have a coated and uncoated profile but we had a color tech come and calibrate our presses and our epson printers

Reply #23
Well the new EPSON P6000 is up and running, with 2 profiles for coated and uncoated made on XF. Everything is looking very good. Owner is very happy.

(Y all can insert sarcastic negative remarks if you want, but I have been pleasantly suprised how well things went, was expecting the worst but it did not happen for a change).