by Joe
November 02, 2018, 02:36:22 PM

xx
Acrobat excessive RAM usage
by Joe
November 01, 2018, 06:02:04 PM

Topic: WebRoot (Read 1525 times) previous topic - next topic

WebRoot

Anyone familiar with WebRoot? I am going to open up a case but thought I would ask here first.
I have scan mounted drives unchecked, but webroot is scanning my DVD's when I put a dvd in.
This is annoying because I have to cancel the scan and when I'm done I have to tell it to force eject
the dvd, because it thinks it's doing something with the dvd.

and what is weird it seems to only scan the new disks, when I put in an old disk it doesn't scan it.
screen shot of my scan settings

Re: WebRoot

Reply #1
Thanks Guys! It quit doing it, what the heck?
It's been doing it for 2 weeks now, I guess It got scared of B4print :laugh:

Reply #2
And DSC isn't even here anymore. WebRoot must have been reading some old posts.
No Facebook, no iAnything. What am I missing?
2009 Mac Mini, OSX 10.6

Reply #3
weird I tell ya!

Reply #4
HIS name is DCS, damnit! Don't speak ill of the fallen. HE shall return, and we will rejoice on high!
"I'm not addicted to cocaine. I just like the way it smells."
– Richard Pryor

“Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Reply #5
Thanks Guys! It quit doing it, what the heck?
It's been doing it for 2 weeks now, I guess It got scared of B4print :laugh:

Our reputation is out there! :rotf:
Mac OS 10.12 Sierra | Prinergy 7.5 | Adobe Creative Cloud 2017 | Two Luscher XPose 160 CTP units

Prepress: One who does precision guess work based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

Reply #6
Oh, no, I misspelled his initials. Doomed, I tell ya'!

Yeah, there are still some dangerous ones on here. It's the quiet ones, you know, which lets me out.
2009 Mac Mini, OSX 10.6

Reply #7

Oh, no, I misspelled his initials. Doomed, I tell ya'!

Yeah, there are still some dangerous ones on here. It's the quiet ones, you know, which lets me out.

DSC works. Digital Shoveler of Crap
Mac OS 10.12 Sierra | Prinergy 7.5 | Adobe Creative Cloud 2017 | Two Luscher XPose 160 CTP units

Prepress: One who does precision guess work based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

Reply #8
Thanks. Hope that flies if he ever comes back. If not, :death:
2009 Mac Mini, OSX 10.6

Reply #9
It's malware, Tracy. People get tricked into installing it and it snoops, logs keystrokes, etc.... and it is hard to remove. I have cleaned it from a number of Macs (none of mine, of course). Had to boot in Safe Mode, and go clean all of the subfiles out of the library, in addition to deleting the app and accompanying BS. 

I'm telling you, it's a tenacious little shit. Does bad things to performance too. 
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Reply #10
It's malware, Tracy. People get tricked into installing it and it snoops, logs keystrokes, etc.... and it is hard to remove. I have cleaned it from a number of Macs (none of mine, of course). Had to boot in Safe Mode, and go clean all of the subfiles out of the library, in addition to deleting the app and accompanying BS.

I'm telling you, it's a tenacious little shit. Does bad things to performance too.

An Ear sighting! :faint:

I feel that way about all  antivirus apps. They usually cause more problems than they fix!

Reply #11

you talking about Webroot?
I do have the keyboard entry thingy unchecked.
I got malware one time and that's when I installed it, It's a paid version, should that not be better?

Reply #12
Yes, Webroot is malware, in my experience. How do you know you had a virus? A couple of people I helped claimed no knowledge of how it got there (yeah right) and the others paid for it when an internet popup told them they had a virus and they had to buy Webroot to handle it. I think it's a scam.

I have removed it from multiple machines and their problems cleared up like magik.... malware says I! 

:git off mah lawn:
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Reply #13

An Ear sighting! :faint:

I feel that way about all  antivirus apps. They usually cause more problems than they fix!
Hey buddy! Yeah, I've been AWOL but I got the flu for a few days, and my boss broke my M-AL on the platesetter, and I got slammed when I came back.. and had to handload plates and try to fix the platesetter. Yeah, super busy. Tired of it too.... I'm gonna give notice soon and go on to other things. Other graphic-print-geeky things, so I'll be around here, just not at this desk for much longer. 

Reply #14
Good to hear from you. Good luck in the new adventure. Be sure to tell us all about it when you start!