xx
curved artwork
by born2print
August 09, 2018, 12:18:41 PM

xx
Pitstop 2018
by abc
August 06, 2018, 04:52:44 PM

Topic: "Malwarebytes XPC Service quit unexpectedly" warning  (Read 299 times) previous topic - next topic

"Malwarebytes XPC Service quit unexpectedly" warning

Usually as soon as I fire up Malwarebytes it updates the signature file, but today showed me the "Malwarebytes XPC Service quit unexpectedly" warning and the app hangs. OS X 10.8.5. First time it has done that. I deleted preferences, even re-installed but to no avail. I'm wondering if it's a problem at Malwarebytes or something insidious inside my computer at work. Any ideas?
Sweet FA right now.

Re: "Malwarebytes XPC Service quit unexpectedly" warning

Reply #1
That would be the ultimate virus/malware/bot. You get it on your system and it uninstalls or disables your virus/malware protection.
"I'm not addicted to cocaine. I just like the way it smells."
– Richard Pryor

“Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Reply #2
10.8.5? Mountain Lion? I'm guessing that could be an issue. Check their system requirements and see if shows compatibility with 10.8. They might have put out an update that makes it no longer compatible with 10.8.

I assume you have tried restarting the Mac?
Mac OS 10.12 Sierra | Prinergy 7.5 | Adobe Creative Cloud 2017 | Two Luscher XPose 160 CTP units

Prepress: One who does precision guess work based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

Reply #3
Mac OS 10.12 Sierra | Prinergy 7.5 | Adobe Creative Cloud 2017 | Two Luscher XPose 160 CTP units

Prepress: One who does precision guess work based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

Reply #4
I’m running v1.2 or something like that, as v3 needs 10.10 minimum. Scans ok, but as soon as it goes to update the signature it hangs. Worked like a charm til this week.
Sweet FA right now.

Reply #5
Try moving the /Users/~/Library/Application Support/Malwarebytes folder to the desktop. Then start it and see if it will update the signature.

Reply #6
Try moving the /Users/~/Library/Application Support/Malwarebytes folder to the desktop. Then start it and see if it will update the signature.
I tried that and deleting the plist file too and it still doesn't work. I'm starting to think that they have just stopped support for anything older than 10.10, maybe at the end of April 'coz everything worked up to sometime last week. I tried one of our other Mac Pro towers and the same thing happened. I did send a report to the developer so we will have to see if I can some kind of reply.
Sweet FA right now.

Reply #7
My guess is that the new antivirus signatures won't work in the older OS. When it crashes have you looked at the crash log in Console to see if it gives any info about the crash?

Reply #8
I'll give that a shot before I close up today.
Sweet FA right now.