xx
Still alive!
by motormount
May 12, 2018, 12:49:13 PM

xx
VDP Brainfart
by Slappy
May 10, 2018, 10:37:27 PM

Topic: Proofing for uncoated stocks - suggestions? (Read 159 times) previous topic - next topic

Proofing for uncoated stocks - suggestions?

I have a 1-time a year uncoated (70# uncoated text) job coming up and I want to have my internal proofs get close to my printer's proofs and press.

I currently run Gracol on a semi-matte for all of our proofs and we are matching our coated jobs (almost perfectly) at several G7 qualified printers.

What can I do internally to get out ahead of proofing for an uncoated job? 
beginnings are usually scary, and endings are usually sad, but its everything in between that makes it all worth living  -Bob Marley

Re: Proofing for uncoated stocks - suggestions?

Reply #1
What can I do internally to get out ahead of proofing for an uncoated job?

Cry a little then swallow it b4 anyone sees you.  :hello:
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Reply #2

You mean like your mom did last night?  :ninja:

So, seriously though, is buying a roll of proofing stock like GMG's ProofPaper matte 140 my only option? Or is there a way to emulate uncoated on my semi-matte with good results?
beginnings are usually scary, and endings are usually sad, but its everything in between that makes it all worth living  -Bob Marley

Reply #3
I've been trying to do something similar for about 3 years now. No real luck. Our color guy from Fuji suggested applying a cutback in our Oris software that runs our Epson 9900 but I spent a lot of time getting it to look okay and the sales team complained about the color not being as rich as it is on regular proofs.  ::)

Reply #4
With sales, it helps to keep a proof and a newsprint press sheet nearby, as a quick reminder of the difference.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Reply #5
If I remember correctly you are using an epson for color proofs.

You could try and get some samples of the actual stock the job is running on (cut down to 28x36 or whatever you can run through your proofer) and print proofs on that. You might need to cut back on the ink coverage a bit to reduce wrinkling but it should work fine. Back at a shop I used to work at we ran all our 2 sided proofs out using just our house uncoated stock and it worked fine.

Reply #6

You mean like your mom did last night?  :ninja:

So, seriously though, is buying a roll of proofing stock like GMG's ProofPaper matte 140 my only option? Or is there a way to emulate uncoated on my semi-matte with good results?
Not sure how helpful this is, but our Fuji Trainer person setup an Uncoated Profile for our Epson to run on our typical semi-matte stock. I haven't "hard" tested it to see how close it matches but I've got a few uncoated jobs in the pipe already to run soon, I'll pull Epsons with that Profile and see how close it actually is though.

Side note: I don't honestly know because our plant manager doesn't always ask for Epsons, he’ll have the press guy(s) run to the numbers in many instances.
A little diddie ‘bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin’ the best they can.