Office 365 Outlook
by frailer
December 09, 2018, 05:13:58 AM

xx
Whole of job corruption upstream?
by frailer
December 09, 2018, 05:10:44 AM

xx
A way to find a pdf page size from acrobat reader?
by Tracy
December 06, 2018, 02:55:57 PM

xx
Paper "scam"
by born2print
December 06, 2018, 12:23:25 PM

Topic: Postscript out of InDesign with RTI RipKit, then ripping (Read 1370 times) previous topic - next topic

Postscript out of InDesign with RTI RipKit, then ripping

I've been doing some testing to speed things up in the old rip and I came up with much faster ripping with a separated PS file from InDesign and dropping THAT into the Navigator rip for plates. In the Roam window I compared the Cyan plate from a ps file ripped on my Mac, laying it down on a ripped file from Navigator and saw no difference. In a fraction of the time. Instead of moving a 20mb file across the network for it to rip 45 minutes, I moved a 100mb file across the network and it took only 2 minutes to rip. I made sure to change my screen angles in InDesign to reflect the same angles in the rip.

Is there something glaringly wrong with doing it this way? I do the layout in InDesign to the sheet size, add my own side guides, reg marks, colorbar - all the rip is doing is translating the file to plate.
Rick Self, Prepress Oldie
G5 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel  HP DesignJet Z3200ps   Xitron/Harlequin 8.3    Screen 8000II    Azura Plates    Komori L640
Home: MacPro Quad Core 10.11.6

Re: Postscript out of InDesign with RTI RipKit, then ripping

Reply #1
Is there something glaringly wrong with doing it this way?
Aside from being stuck firmly in 1992? I suppose not!  :lmao:
A little diddie ‘bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin’ the best they can.

Reply #2
Okay, Okay, Okay, that wasn't fair! Maybe true, but not fair!
LOL, thanks for the…whatever.
G5 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel  HP DesignJet Z3200ps   Xitron/Harlequin 8.3    Screen 8000II    Azura Plates    Komori L640

Reply #3

You will be fine until something comes out wrong/missing. When that happens...good luck.
Mac OS 10.12 Sierra | Prinergy 7.5 | Adobe Creative Cloud 2017 | Two Luscher XPose 160 CTP units

Prepress: One who does precision guess work based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

Reply #4

You will be fine until something comes out wrong/missing. When that happens...good luck.
I'm cautious. Going to do a lot of back and forth tests.
This goes back to the issue I was having the other day with Navigator/Harlequin not launching because I went in and tried to give more memory to the application. Come to find out that Navigator 8 is only a 32 bit program and if I want to utiize the RAM I loaded in the 64 bit ready XP box, we need to upgrade to at least Navigator/Harlequin 10. The boss lives for not spendng money, even if I have to manually trap and put sheet marks around the page. The dollars for a new rip that traps would have been paid for by now, but hey - job security for me.

Reply #5

This goes back to the issue I was having the other day with Navigator/Harlequin not launching because I went in and tried to give more memory to the application. Come to find out that Navigator 8 is only a 32 bit program and if I want to utiize the RAM I loaded in the 64 bit ready XP box, we need to upgrade to at least Navigator/Harlequin 10. The boss lives for not spendng money, even if I have to manually trap and put sheet marks around the page. The dollars for a new rip that traps would have been paid for by now, but hey - job security for me.
If you run into your old self in that space-time continuum, don't shake hands. Same matter can't occupy the same space, and you might explode the whole universe.
"I'm not addicted to cocaine. I just like the way it smells."
– Richard Pryor

“Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Reply #6

This goes back to the issue I was having the other day with Navigator/Harlequin not launching because I went in and tried to give more memory to the application. Come to find out that Navigator 8 is only a 32 bit program and if I want to utilize the RAM I loaded in the 64 bit ready XP box, we need to upgrade to at least Navigator/Harlequin 10. The boss lives for not spending money, even if I have to manually trap and put sheet marks around the page. The dollars for a new rip that traps would have been paid for by now, but hey - job security for me.

Actually you would have to install a 64-bit OS before you can install the 64-bit version of Navigator/Harlequin 10. It would  probably require Windows 7 64-bit as the 64-bit version of Windows XP was horribly buggy.
Mac OS 10.12 Sierra | Prinergy 7.5 | Adobe Creative Cloud 2017 | Two Luscher XPose 160 CTP units

Prepress: One who does precision guess work based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

Reply #7

This goes back to the issue I was having the other day with Navigator/Harlequin not launching because I went in and tried to give more memory to the application. Come to find out that Navigator 8 is only a 32 bit program and if I want to utilize the RAM I loaded in the 64 bit ready XP box, we need to upgrade to at least Navigator/Harlequin 10. The boss lives for not spending money, even if I have to manually trap and put sheet marks around the page. The dollars for a new rip that traps would have been paid for by now, but hey - job security for me.

Actually you would have to install a 64-bit OS before you can install the 64-bit version of Navigator/Harlequin 10. It would  probably require Windows 7 64-bit as the 64-bit version of Windows XP was horribly buggy.

Yes, you would, went through this a couple of years ago. (windows 7, not XP).