Printing direct vs. spooling

Started by pspdfppdfxhd, September 27, 2018, 05:21:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pspdfppdfxhd

We've got a great Konica color machine, with one glaring omission: no command workstation. Too much $$$$$.

Rather than suffer the ridiculous rip times for pdfs going through the "other program" obviously creating huge spool files, is there a way to print direct as a "rip on the fly" kind of like streaming like netflix.

Sorry if I asked this question before, it just keeps coming up again and again and again.

pspdfppdfxhd

And I am not talking about 4 color jobs either.... simple variable type jobs but up to about 10,000 pages.

We have been forced to split the pdf's up into say, 2000 pages to make it manageable.

Joe

I think your printer would have to have a huge amount of RAM if OS X would even allow it. Spooling to disk is the way it feeds only so much data at a time that the printer can handle.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

pspdfppdfxhd

Quote from: Joe on September 27, 2018, 08:19:36 AMI think your printer would have to have a huge amount of RAM if OS X would even allow it. Spooling to disk is the way it feeds only so much data at a time that the printer can handle.

Oyyyy, over my head I am afraid.

Talking about printing direct to the printer from the pc that controls it, ie. open pdf in Acrobat and print.
This bypasses the controller program which has to rip and spool the whole file. I think.
Couldn't it just stream and print the file as it processes? Like Netflix? Sorry, that's the only comparison I can make.

wonderings

I can't even imagine running a digital press without command workstation or something like it.
How do you do colour calibration, alignment adjustments and all that?

pspdfppdfxhd

Oh it has those features.

Doesn't have imposition or the ability to accept anything other than pdf. No ppml or the other variable formats that only rip the 4 color once instead of every page.

DigiCorn

I know our Fiery running CWS on the Versant digital press has 4 independent processors and when you're queuing a large job, you can see all 4 chewing the file and it does so pretty quickly (that said, when it's not randomly replacing images).
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

Quote from: pspdfppdfxhd on September 27, 2018, 09:11:17 AMOyyyy, over my head I am afraid.

Talking about printing direct to the printer from the pc that controls it, ie. open pdf in Acrobat and print.
This bypasses the controller program which has to rip and spool the whole file. I think.
Couldn't it just stream and print the file as it processes? Like Netflix? Sorry, that's the only comparison I can make.

Oh on a PC...I think you can do it on a PC but when you print it, it takes control of the PC and will not let you do anything else on it until the whole job is done. Here is the setting:

[attach width=400]19025[/attach]
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

pspdfppdfxhd

Well it takes control of the printer when it's spooling for hours anyways.

Thanks, we'll try this.

wonderings

I remember with our older digital devices that there was a print direct que. Had to setup another print que that when used it just sent the file and printed automatically. I currently use that for an old machine that we use for office printing now.  Not sure if this will do exactly what you are looking for, think not as the machine would still need to RIP, but it does just start printing when ready.

mattbeals

Spooling in 1993 was superior then, it's still superior now.
Matt Beals

Everything I say is my own personal opinion and has nothing to do with my employer or their views.