angry
mac rage
by wonderings
November 12, 2018, 04:18:06 PM

Topic: Now - a trashcan eGPU (Read 479 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Now - a trashcan eGPU

Reply #1
it also acts as a port hub for the laptop

That's something I can use... a 700 dollar hub...

:sarcasm:
Prepress guy - doin' jobs one at a time

Reply #2
But, but, ..... it's got ports!
No Facebook, no iAnything. What am I missing?
2009 Mac Mini, OSX 10.6

Reply #3
it also acts as a port hub for the laptop

That's something I can use... a 700 dollar hub...

:sarcasm:

Hold out for the $8,000 Pro model.
Mac OS 10.12 Sierra | Prinergy 7.5 | Adobe Creative Cloud 2017 | Two Luscher XPose 160 CTP units

Prepress: One who does precision guess work based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

Reply #4
Does apple know that AMD came out with the VEGA cards yet? Those have been out for about a year. The RX 580 I think has been out for longer than that.

Wait, doesn't the iMac Pro come with a VEGA card in it?

Reply #5
Just checked, the iMac Pro does come with VEGA graphics so I guess they are sort of staying on top of current tech...

Reply #6
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/08/blackmagic-external-gpu-review-a-very-apple-graphics-solution/

Oh for the love of god ...WHY!?

I don't care if my next mac is twice the size of my current one. I don't care if it makes more noise that Honda Civic. I just want it to be fast, play nice with lots of other equipment and  (one day when it gets a little slow)  I just want to open a little door and add more memory and drives.

It's on days like these that I miss my old G3. That little latch on the side was the best thing they ever did.

Reply #7
Well, now, Apple wants to keep you from visiting evil places like OWC and Newegg to get RAM and other goodies at 1/3 Apple's price. After all, if you can replace your own parts, you won't need so much AppleCare to replace the whole logic board every time one little part fizzles.
No Facebook, no iAnything. What am I missing?
2009 Mac Mini, OSX 10.6

Reply #8
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/08/blackmagic-external-gpu-review-a-very-apple-graphics-solution/

I don't care if my next mac is twice the size of my current one. I don't care if it makes more noise that Honda Civic. I just want it to be fast, play nice with lots of other equipment and  (one day when it gets a little slow)  I just want to open a little door and add more memory and drives.

It's on days like these that I miss my old G3. That little latch on the side was the best thing they ever did.

Yeah the engineer that came up with easy upgrade design was flogged, tarred & feathered, fired, and became Steve Jobs unpaid butler whom was buried with Steve Jobs. ALIVE!
Mac OS 10.12 Sierra | Prinergy 7.5 | Adobe Creative Cloud 2017 | Two Luscher XPose 160 CTP units

Prepress: One who does precision guess work based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

Reply #9

I do love that design, I have 2 dual G4's sitting in my basement. The only design I liked better was the PowerMac G5's. That was the best looking case with the cleanest and even easier interior for upgrading ram, graphics card and hard drive.

Reply #10
There is a guy up the street with 2 G5's sitting in his yard. I know the innards are likely wrecked but I do want them to put a PC into.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

It's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         â€”Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Reply #11
I still have my old Power Mac G5 for my disk catalog and quark  :laugh: