Office 365 Outlook
by frailer
December 09, 2018, 05:13:58 AM

xx
Whole of job corruption upstream?
by frailer
December 09, 2018, 05:10:44 AM

xx
A way to find a pdf page size from acrobat reader?
by Tracy
December 06, 2018, 02:55:57 PM

xx
Paper "scam"
by born2print
December 06, 2018, 12:23:25 PM

Topic: Spot conversion to CMYK (Read 541 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Spot conversion to CMYK

Reply #15
I generally use whatever application I have the file in. If it is a print ready (supposedly) PDF I will just use acrobats preflight and convert to CMYK, never had a complaint and if they did we would explain that the file needed to be converted for press.

It is curious though how apps handle the conversation of a pantone to CMYK. Just noticed it today, I am setting up a large calendar in Indesign, used the companies pantone colour 221 U. When in Illustrator working on one of the vector images in the calendar I converted the pantone and got a CMYK makeup. When I converted the same pantone in Indesign it was a completely different makeup, not even close. Bizarre that applications from the same company do not seem to use the same method for converting got CMYK.

Reply #16
I generally use whatever application I have the file in. If it is a print ready (supposedly) PDF I will just use acrobats preflight and convert to CMYK, never had a complaint and if they did we would explain that the file needed to be converted for press.

It is curious though how apps handle the conversation of a pantone to CMYK. Just noticed it today, I am setting up a large calendar in Indesign, used the companies pantone colour 221 U. When in Illustrator working on one of the vector images in the calendar I converted the pantone and got a CMYK makeup. When I converted the same pantone in Indesign it was a completely different makeup, not even close. Bizarre that applications from the same company do not seem to use the same method for converting got CMYK.

Is your color management for both of those Adobe apps setup the same?
Mac OS 10.12 Sierra | Prinergy 7.5 | Adobe Creative Cloud 2017 | Two Luscher XPose 160 CTP units

Prepress: One who does precision guess work based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

Reply #17

You can open up "Color Settings" in all Adobe apps ( Indy, Illy, Photo and Bridge), and when it's dialog box comes up, it will tell you if it is "synchronized" or not. If not, open Bridge if you are using the Creative Suite, and adjust your color settings there, and then all your apps should be sync'd. And if you need to make any color adjustments to your color settings, always do it in Bridge, as it will sync all your apps. If you want to "play" with a setting in a single app to try something, go ahead and do it, but remember to go back to Bridge to either reset your default settings and sync again, or make your changes.
Mac • Prinergy 8 • Preps 8 • RBA • Fusion Pro

"Your superior intellect is no match for our puny weapons!" - Homer J. Simpson

"Those who make you mad, control you."

Reply #18

Not sure, I just use the default settings.

Reply #19
  Whenever i caught a spot color in a process - supposed to be - job, i always called the client and asked whether they needed to send files again, or would they let us do the conversion, then i'd let meta do the job.
 I remember i had printed a couple of patches with spots converted inside illustrator, inside acrobat and with meta, and heidi's was the most ''accurate''.

For color critical jobs you can't rely on any kind of software, instead of torturing yourself let the client take the responsibility of his - or his mistakes!