Paper "scam"

Started by DigiCorn, December 03, 2018, 12:02:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

born2print

Oh yeah, it's a thing:

When you see a price of $2.99, what your brain really sees is "two, a decimal, and some other numbers," and looks for a shortcut.

The first shortcut your brain takes is to look for a small, neat number, so you're going to gravitate toward either two or three.

fascinating source:
https://www.quora.com/Why-do-retailers-add-%E2%80%9899%E2%80%99-to-the-end-of-their-pricing-1-99-399-00-etc
How will I laugh tomorrow...
when I can't even smile today?

StudioMonkey

We are told that the reason for this in shops at least is so that till workers have to open the till to give you your change, making the sale legal.  Obvious bs.
In the last UK election one of the minor parties proposed the introduction of a 99p coin.  :banana:
Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana

DigiCorn

Ever look at a coupon in the Sunday paper (who even gets the paper anymore?)? The fine print says, "Value: 1/20¢." You can use these, and CAN pay with exact change.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

born2print

Hand the checker 1 coupon and a personal check for 19/20¢
How will I laugh tomorrow...
when I can't even smile today?