News:

Main Menu

Any Switch Users?

Started by Slappy, January 24, 2019, 03:07:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slappy

Just wondering ,we're trying to ramp up & get it installed now. Thought we'd be able to use an existing server that's pretty new, but it's looking less & less likely. Getting prices for a new box based on the Enfocus Recommended specs, my inclination is to go higher since I'd rather not re-visit upgrading a server in use.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

Joe

GO BIG.

i9 CPU. 2 TB SSD. 32 GB RAM. 4k video card and monitor.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

abc

Are you getting the Performance Module?
It's all about the number of concurrent processes.

Which Enfocus partner are you working with?

Slappy

Doesn't look like we opted for the Performance Module, based on the quote I saw. They're suggesting 4-8 cores, SSDs 512GB minimum, or a 6+disk RAID volume optimally.

I'll PM you the vendor.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

zox

Go big or go home!

Just kidding, but you do want to future proof investment and not have to upgrade hardware in couple of years.
We installed it in virtual environment so it's easy to move around when we upgrade VM.

mattbeals

I9 processor is great, 8 cores is fairly standard, SSD's are ideal.

Picking hardware is personal taste. Is this desktop grade, workstation grade, server grade?
Matt Beals

Everything I say is my own personal opinion and has nothing to do with my employer or their views.

abc

@Slappy The vendors are good guys, I know them well. In fact I'll see them next week at a partner event we have in Malta.

It would be wise to get a dedicated box as IO is important. So an SSD, RAM and a good spec processor are important.

I can pretty much guarantee once you get into Switch, the things you do with it will expand very rapidly.

DigiCorn

oh.

I thought you meant Nintendo Switch. But sadly, the answer there would still be No.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Slappy

Quote from: mattbeals on January 24, 2019, 10:46:46 PMI9 processor is great, 8 cores is fairly standard, SSD's are ideal.

Picking hardware is personal taste. Is this desktop grade, workstation grade, server grade?
I guess it's technically a Server, given what the software is doing, but I think a beefier Workstation build would suffice. That's what I'm going to attempt to have priced anyway.

Quote from: abc on January 24, 2019, 11:37:27 PM@Slappy The vendors are good guys, I know them well. In fact I'll see them next week at a partner event we have in Malta.
Oooohhhhh, travelin' man!! That'd be a hoot, I wonder if our contact is going-I'll ask next time we talk.

QuoteIt would be wise to get a dedicated box as IO is important. So an SSD, RAM and a good spec processor are important.

I can pretty much guarantee once you get into Switch, the things you do with it will expand very rapidly.
Yup & yup. I'm anticipating it becoming a pretty heavy lifter for the kind of work we're pushing most days here. I'm still a little intimidated at the learning curve but it'll be worth it!

mattbeals

Okay, from from workstation on up. Lots of choices that get insanely configurable quickly. Six or 8 cores if nothing else is because of the OS overhead. Sixteen GB of RAM or 24GB. Anything more "now" will be useless. Just make sure it's easy to add another physical cpu with an identical CPU in slot 0. That's the worst part to decide. Everything else is relatively easy until you reach windows license limitations. Start with Windows Server 201x.
Matt Beals

Everything I say is my own personal opinion and has nothing to do with my employer or their views.

Slappy

Beefing up the existing server to start. Doubling the RAM to 64GB and another Windows Server License to install Switch into its own Virtual Machine. Freaking IT support is charging a ransom too, can't quite believe that OEM Dell memory is SO expensive it should be gold-plated but don't want to take a chance on the same spec modules from Crucial. If they don't play nice with the current install, I know what a mess mixed RAM can cause.

Here we go!!!  :banana:  :banana:  :banana:

abc

Slappy

Good, good. How's it going with you?  :rotf:

Install was Friday, I had to leave early so I won't get to poke around and see how it went until Monday morning. Hoping to start training this week too and get this puppy chewing through jobs!

abc

Excellent. Back from Malta and off to Latvia, Lithuania and Estonia tomorrow.  :facepalm:

Do you know who is doing the training?

Slappy

All Systems Integration, out of Boston.