Inkjet envelope printer

Started by pspdfppdfxhd, March 21, 2019, 07:19:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pspdfppdfxhd

Anyone have any recommendations for a decent inkjet printer for envelopes?

The one we have now is ancient and dying a slow death. The interface is horrible, we're restricted to using only one font, courier, and have to print DOS from the sorting software to the printer.

It would be great to have one that would print from PDFs so fonts are not an issue.

Joe

We got one of these recently. The girls that do that kind of work say it is great. And they do a lot more than just envelopes. We did not get the platemaker option though.

Xante EN/PRESS
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

born2print

We have a Xante too, not sure which model, I always hear good things about it.
How will I laugh tomorrow...
when I can't even smile today?

Possum

It looks a lot like an Impressia. I didn't read enough to know they had engineered it to print with ink instead of toner.
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

Possum

Oh, one thing I recently found out about the Enterprise feeder on these models. We had a problem with both the ingoing and outgoing ones recently; it turned out to be a simple fix on both. What surprised me and the repair man, who was recommended by Xante, called Xante and asked about parts if he needed them, and they told him that after the warranty is over, they don't sell parts, just new units. That's something to keep in mind.

pspdfppdfxhd

Quote from: Joe on March 21, 2019, 08:24:23 AMWe got one of these recently. The girls that do that kind of work say it is great. And they do a lot more than just envelopes. We did not get the platemaker option though.

Xante EN/PRESS

Geez Joe, you'all got girls for everything! We need some girls here!

Tracy

Xante here too, it's a work horse.
Might want to check into it, ours doesn't have click charges
we bought the machine, the supplies are a bit pricey, but no click charges

pspdfppdfxhd

Okay, sounds like Xante is the way to go! Thanks.

DigiCorn

We also have the Xante Impressia. It's finicky, but we've put over half a million envelopes through it in 2 years, so maybe it's not built for that kind of use.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Possum

You might check out Oki models also. They come with feeders or you can get third party feeders like the Straight Shooter. Their color seems a little less finicky than Xante's in my experience, although the Xante iQueue software gives you many more options like numbering, bar codes, etc.

David

we have an Oki C941e, prints 4 color plus white ink, with the Straight Shooter feeder and exit modules.
works like a champ.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Slappy

Quote from: david on March 21, 2019, 12:16:31 PMwe have an Oki C941e, prints 4 color plus white ink, with the Straight Shooter feeder and exit modules.
works like a champ.
What's the speed like? We've got an aging Presstek DI, it's becoming more trouble to get setup imo for short runs & consumables are expensive as shit. 4c envelopes are really the only thing it's used for any more.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

David

Haven't actually put a clock on it, but I've done 500 envelopes, print 2 sides, in less than 30 min.

Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Possum

I had a rebranded Oki, older model, that would run through 1000 envelopes in about 40 minutes. When a part was replaced, it suddenly printed much faster. Faster than the Impressia we got later, although I never timed it, but the Impressia does 1000 in 25 to 30 minutes.
As far as consumables cost, I have read that Oki's prices were less than the those for the older Impressia model, although I don't know about the newer model.

One tip if you've never had one of these machines: if a sales puke or trainer tells you you can run envelopes on a lighter setting than normal to run faster, don't fall for that. We lost a lot of envelopes to crooked prints running them that way.

wonderings

We print envelopes on our Versant 2100. Handles envelopes incredibly well and rarely ever have a jam. Colours look great.

Might be worth looking at whatever digital press you have and see if it is capable of running envelopes through it. For us it was an added bonus with the Versant, we did not buy it to print envelopes but when we need to do full colour envelopes it handles them like a dream.