Indesign Beach Ball effect

Started by scottrsimons, April 10, 2019, 11:46:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scottrsimons

Anyone else having issues with Adobe's new feature of adding more "beach ball" effects to Indesign? Where a job used to take 5 minutes now takes 15 minutes because of the beach balling effect? And if so, have you found a fix?  :banghead:
"Your superior intellect is no match for our puny weapons!" - Homer J. Simpson

pspdfppdfxhd

Acutally I just updated this week and have been noticing more spinning balls. I thought the network was waivering.

born2print

It's been bugging me, the newer and faster the mac, the more beachballs I get.
IT said it might be Chrome...
I left Force Quit window open and it seems it's actually the Finder not responding. Blame Apple / bloated OS??
How will I laugh tomorrow...
when I can't even smile today?

scottrsimons

I'm on Adobe's forum for "bugs" and beta software, and there is a lot of beach balls/spinning balls/slow downs/delays/etc. Here's a link to their forum if you are interested https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs?category_id=209107.

wonderings

Some jobs slow down indesign, in those instances I just turn down the display quality in Indesign. Generally just leave it on high but some jobs I need to reduce so I can function a little faster.

Joe

I updated late last week. Not seeing the spinning beach balls here. Running OS X 10.14.4 Mojave.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigiCorn

No issues here, but lately Numbers doesn't work all the time... I mean it *works,* but won't let me save after I've made changes.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

AaronH

Quote from: Joe on April 10, 2019, 12:59:32 PM
I updated late last week. Not seeing the spinning beach balls here. Running OS X 10.14.4 Mojave.

How's Mojave by the way? I have been a bit afraid to update - not sure how XMF would like it.
Mac & Windows | XMF | Fiery | Oris

Joe

Networking seems to have some glitches. When I try to browse the network sometimes computers show up instantly. Sometimes they take 10 minutes to show. Sometime they never show up. And it seems like Apple built in a 2-3 second delay for everything. Double click a file...nothing for 2-3 seconds. Open a folder in the Finder. Double click it...nothing for 2-3 seconds. It may be because I upgraded over Sierra instead of wiping the HD and starting fresh. But I didn't have time for that.

Dark mode is kind of neat. Easier on the eyes.

Trying to think of a whiz-bang new feature. I got nothing though.

scottrsimons

Joe, I haven't tried this yet, but am meaning too. But this might help with your networking issues. Adjust SMB browsing behavior in macOS High Sierra 10.13 and later - https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208209

Joe

Browsing network shares isn't the problem. The problem is browsing the network as the shares either show up immediately in a Finder window, sometimes takes a while, sometime they never show up. Once I can see the shares browsing the files is fine.

AaronH

Thats too bad about the delay and network issues. I've always had those network issues on a Mac though, in both print shops I've worked in. I also can't get the Mac to keep drives connected. They seem to want to randomly eject themselves on their own. Never had that problem with the PCs here though. It does it on both my iMac and my coworker's iMac.
Mac & Windows | XMF | Fiery | Oris

Joe

I have a Netgear ReadyNAS Pro with 4 network shares and they disconnect often. My shares from Windows servers stay connected forever.

scottrsimons

Just an update. Still getting spinning wheels of death. But I have received an email from a person on the Adobe InDesign Team asking me for more information about our situation. Turns out that Adobe does listen to the UserVoice forum. I gave him the info he was asking for, but I haven't heard back from him since.

Joe

When you get the spinning wheels of death what is going on? Like a small document with little content or a large document with lots of crap stuff on it? Or both? Lots of other apps running at the same time? How much RAM do you have in the affected Macs?