PITSTOP, reduce TAC for vignettes on top of images

Started by DPSprint, May 29, 2019, 04:58:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DPSprint

I quite often get files that have colour vignettes on top of 4 col images and it often sends the TAC way up. I've found that the TAC reduction doesnt seem to affect the vignettes that much, seems to effect the images mostly and it can even send the TAC higher in the vignette areas.

Exporting from Indesign using SWAP settings also doesnt tend to reduce the TAC in the vignettes: its works on the images but not the vignettes?

Apart from manually adjusting the vignettes which tends to affect the colour, is there anything else I can try in pitstop?

abc

I'm guessing the vignettes are smooth shadings rather than images?
If you look at the TAC of the vignette it's probably ok on it's own. I assume it's overprinting or blending with the image underneath, so combined they are over TAC?

An approach could be to combine the vignettes with the images so they are one element, then that would work.
The new Rasterize Selection would help there, select the image and the vignette and combine them, the only consideration would be if there are other elements in the stacking order that might be involved, but the software will tell you if there are.
Approach would be to error out on the TAC Check and then manually rasterize and then run the TAC reduction devicelink. You would have to remove the ICC tag that could be applied by the Rasterization.
The Devicelink TAC profiles only work on DeviceCMYK.
You can send me some files if you wish, I would be interested to take a look.

Tracy

That's is a super idea, I battle with those too!

born2print

I really look forward to having the Rasterize Selection tool. Won't be long now, going to Prinergy 8.2.1 and upgrading the Mac's OS soon  :cool:
Those days are gone forever
I should just let them go but...

Tracy

DPSprint

Quote from: abc on May 30, 2019, 06:38:42 AM
I'm guessing the vignettes are smooth shadings rather than images?
If you look at the TAC of the vignette it's probably ok on it's own. I assume it's overprinting or blending with the image underneath, so combined they are over TAC?

An approach could be to combine the vignettes with the images so they are one element, then that would work.
The new Rasterize Selection would help there, select the image and the vignette and combine them, the only consideration would be if there are other elements in the stacking order that might be involved, but the software will tell you if there are.
Approach would be to error out on the TAC Check and then manually rasterize and then run the TAC reduction devicelink. You would have to remove the ICC tag that could be applied by the Rasterization.
The Devicelink TAC profiles only work on DeviceCMYK.
You can send me some files if you wish, I would be interested to take a look.
yeeeasssss, it worked!
I figured there had to be some way of getting it to work... kinda forgot the obvious about combining the vignette and image.

It was made a bit more complicated with a large number of vector icons (which has some sort of transparency on them) between the bottom vignette and image background, but thats where the object browser worked a treat. I could select just those icons (and there were lots all in one group) and the image and vignette and combine.
It did make the poster a lot bigger in size (but it was only a4 so no biggie) and it probably took a lot of vector processing out as well.

I will probably be using this most days now... its quite a common issue here

AWESOME ABC and the pitstop crew!