New Mac Pro with PCI slots

Started by Possum, June 03, 2019, 01:27:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Possum

Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

Joe

Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

David

gee, the 32" monitor is only 5k. What's the problem Joe, you should get at least two monitors to see all the gloriousness of the over 6k Mac!

:sarcasm:
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

AaronH

Oh boy. It comes with a Radeon 580X... You have to pay extra to get current gen hardware.
Mac & Windows | XMF | Fiery | Oris

David

Quoteoptional video card called "Afterburner" that Apple claims can decode more than 6 billion pixels per second

faster than I can blink

wonder what this means in real life, render a video in under 2 seconds?
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Joe

It means customers can make more mistakes faster than before.

StudioMonkey

Very impressive specs and PCIe expansion capability is a welcome return.  Hopefully this idea trickles down to a new desktop tower for the rest of us, but I'm not holding my breath. 

28 core Xeon processor, Radeon Pro Vega II Duo 64Gb VRAM Graphics card which runs at 1Tb/sec - you can have 2 of them giving 128GB of video memory and 56 teraflops of graphics performance.  12 RAM slots so you can have up to 1.5TB of RAM. Multiple terabyte SSD hard drives.  These are not even the max you can get.

This top of the range er, range is aimed more at high end video / audio processing and is rackable ffs if you need multiples of this power. 

Not for us mortals you might say but if I had the moolah (and I was single) I would have one in a heartbeat.
Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana

Joe

The thing is definitely a beast. But a beast for very few people. The few people that do need will have no problem spending that kind of money. Yeah I would love to have one. But nope...never will in this lifetime short of winning the lottery.

wonderings

Quote from: Joe on June 04, 2019, 06:44:18 AM
The thing is definitely a beast. But a beast for very few people. The few people that do need will have no problem spending that kind of money. Yeah I would love to have one. But nope...never will in this lifetime short of winning the lottery.

Yes, they again have gone way about the average pro user.

Also looks like a proprietary hard drive that will cost probably 3 to 4x as much for the same space with a conventional SSD.

Ugliest computer Apple has made though spec wise it looks good... for that small market. They need a cheaper model, could settle on i7 and i9 chips and a bay for 4 SSD internal drives. Of course that will not happen.

Oh and that $5000 screen does not come with a stand, for the ugly stand for the ugly screen add another $1000.

Joe

They are about to price them out of the prepress market, at least for us, in their iMac line. Would not even consider the iMac Pro. Not too long ago we could get a decent 27" iMac for around $1,500 (refurbished). I ordered one last week with a not too special set of specs: June 2017 Model i7 CPU, 16 GB ram, 1 TB Fusion drive (refurbished). $2,039.00 + tax.

It replaced my Late 2014 model with an i7 CPU, 16 GB of RAM, 1 TB Fusion drive. Same specs except the i7 CPU in the old one was 6th generation i7 while this new one is an 8th generation i7 so it should be noticeably faster. I can tell no difference from the old one to the new one doing general prepress work.

Possum

I'm sure this is aimed at the professional audio and post-production film market, especially with that monitor. I'm just surprised that they went back to internal slots when they made everybody buy add-ons for their cards and what not with the last big change.

You don't supposed they're actually admitting they made a boo boo before? Naw......
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

wonderings

Quote from: Possum on June 04, 2019, 02:51:30 PM
I'm sure this is aimed at the professional audio and post-production film market, especially with that monitor. I'm just surprised that they went back to internal slots when they made everybody buy add-ons for their cards and what not with the last big change.

You don't supposed they're actually admitting they made a boo boo before? Naw......

Apple did admit they messed up with the trashcan design.

I wonder what the market is like for audio work and video editing. I agree this is obviously geared at them.

I can stomach around $5K CDN for a work computer, beyond that it would have to offer vast radical changes and improvements for my daily work to really justify such steep prices. It's crazy that the new Apple monitor costs more then my maxed out 5K iMac when you add in the $1000 stand.

AaronH

I can only imagine this is aimed at Pixar/Dreamworks or other visual effects companies.
Mac & Windows | XMF | Fiery | Oris

Joe

Quote from: AaronH on June 04, 2019, 03:11:54 PM
I can only imagine this is aimed at Pixar/Dreamworks or other visual effects companies.

Agreed...but there was a time we bought Mac Pros for prepress. I can't wait until you can click the "Buy" button at Apple so I can spec it out with all of the top of line stuff just to see the overall price. I'm guessing it might come close to $100K.

StudioMonkey

I actually really liked the trashcan design.  Innovative self cooling shape and looks like something the Borg might have used with its cover off.

One good thing about the new Mac Pro - the old Mac Pro will drop in price considerably.  Current top spec refurbished model £1,749. 
:popcorn:
Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana