Affinity Publisher released

Started by Syphon, June 11, 2019, 10:37:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

Anyone remember a little software called Freehand? Adobe isn't a fan of competition. I'm sure the buyout is being prepared as we speak.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

David

Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Joe

Possum

He really went over to the dark side.
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

Possum

Quote from: Joe on June 21, 2019, 07:30:26 AM
Anyone remember a little software called Freehand? Adobe isn't a fan of competition. I'm sure the buyout is being prepared as we speak.

I remember them swallowing up PageMaker, Streamline, and a bunch of others, also. You never know. Adobe might think itself so invulnerable now that it won't even bother with li'l old Affinity. I wouldn't doubt them trying to get it - like stepping on a pesty ant in their minds.
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

wonderings

I received a file from a regular client. File was made properly in Indesign and exported as a PDF with crops and bleeds for us to print. Wanting to see how it looks if I dropped it in Publisher gives me horrific results. Not sure how anyone could use Publisher if it handles PDF files so poorly. 

​​​​​​​Screen Shot 2019-06-21 at 11.48.05 AM by B P, on Flickr

Joe

Quote from: wonderings on June 21, 2019, 09:52:34 AM
I received a file from a regular client. File was made properly in Indesign and exported as a PDF with crops and bleeds for us to print. Wanting to see how it looks if I dropped it in Publisher gives me horrific results. Not sure how anyone could use Publisher if it handles PDF files so poorly.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Same as Quark!

wonderings

Quote from: Joe on June 21, 2019, 11:17:42 AM

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Same as Quark!

Have not used Quark in years and when I did use it we were not placing PDF's in it, think we were doing everything with EPS files. Does Quark let you edit PDF's right in the application? That is the issue here, there is no way to just place a PDF without it being editable in Publisher.

Joe

I don't have the latest version of Quark but I think i read it is editable inside Quark.

We have a damn few customers that still use Quark and they always have issues when they place PDF's that have transparency.

Slappy

If it's a "properly made PDF" why would you drop in into anything except a RIP though? I mean, I know there are still instances to re-fry PDFs but it shouldn't be a normal thing, eh?

That being said, I bought a license too for home and I'm eager to go through the numerous tutorials Affinity put out so far. If it's decent, I'd be more than happy to suggest it customers over Canva or whatever nonsense they still use to try and get their shit done.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

Joe

Quote from: Slappy on June 22, 2019, 08:33:46 PM
If it's a "properly made PDF" why would you drop in into anything except a RIP though? I mean, I know there are still instances to re-fry PDFs but it shouldn't be a normal thing, eh?

That being said, I bought a license too for home and I'm eager to go through the numerous tutorials Affinity put out so far. If it's decent, I'd be more than happy to suggest it customers over Canva or whatever nonsense they still use to try and get their shit done.

Because an ad agency usually supplies PDF's these days and you pretty much have to place them in a page layout application to create the full page.

wonderings

Quote from: Slappy on June 22, 2019, 08:33:46 PM

Because many times I need to adjust the PDF and I do not have a fancy RIP that imposes and does everything for me. Sometimes I resize, sometimes I need to add bleeds, sometimes it is part of an add for a magazine or part of an annual report. Many reasons to drop in a PDF. If it truly is print ready then yes I just jump into my imposition software and skip Indesign, unfortunately that is not always the case and definitely not the case if designing something with PDF links.