Volumes Eject Randomly?

Started by AaronH, June 20, 2019, 10:29:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AaronH

Hey guys, I'm wondering if anyone has an idea what might cause this? BasicallyI have two shares on one device, a LaCie 5 Big NAS Pro, the Office share and the XMF_Files share. They of course come up as separate volumes in Mac. For some reason, I can't get the Office volume to stay connected. I never lose the XMF_Files volume, but the Office volume drops repeatedly - 4 times in the last 15 minutes.

This is frustrating behavior on the Mac as my computer is the computer that runs Crashplan Pro to backup the Office "drive" and the XMF_Files "drive".

I would think it would be a cable issue or a network switch issue if both were disappearing since they both have the same IP address on the network. But since only one is vanishing, I don't know where to point the blame or start looking for issues/solutions.
Mac & Windows | XMF | Fiery | Oris

Joe

Are they both using the same protocol from the NAS? AFP? SMB? Share settings on the NAS the same for both?
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

AaronH

Yep both are connected via AFP and the share settings in the NAS OS are the same as well.

Joe

Hmmmm...we haven't used AFP in a long time. We have a Netgear NAS with multiple shares and use SMB for everything. First thing I would try would be to unshare the Office share and re-create it and see if you still have the same issue. If you do I would try using SMB shares next.

AaronH

Alright. I'll give the SMB Share a try. I haven't thought of that. I've been clicking on it in finder which defaults to AFP.

AaronH

Well Joe, you were right about SMB. I disabled AFP on the NAS OS for the Lacie 5 Big and I haven't lost a drive since.

Joe

If you previously copied fonts to your NAS shares you should check that they still work under SMB now. If you copy them via SMB now they should be OK but if they were previously copied via AFP they might be hosed if you try to use them under SMB.

AaronH

Thanks I'll keep an eye out for that. The font management software we use (FontAgent) keeps copies locally on the iMacs but it might get weird with InDesign and other programs.