EFI Command Workstation - Save Tab Settings in Compose

Started by jwheeler, August 13, 2019, 12:15:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwheeler

We are an inplant and we run 100's of different training manuals that can range from 200 to 1,000 pages. Each manual needs between 5 and 30 divider tabs with text printed only on the ear of the tab. We typeset/place the tabs using Compose in Command Workstation. Is there a way to save the settings of the tabs for future use? Not just the media settings, but the page placement and text on each tab? We often get revised manuals sent to us, but the tabs remain the same and it would be helpful to just pull up the settings rather than re-doing them every time.

Possum

I've never used the Compose feature, but have you tried using the Process and Hold command and then sending it to Archive? It should save a ripped file, hopefully with all your settings.
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

jwheeler

Quote from: Possum on August 13, 2019, 12:33:16 PM
have you tried using the Process and Hold command and then sending it to Archive? It should save a ripped file, hopefully with all your settings.

It will do that, and yes, we use the archive feature for certain projects. But this doesn't help when we get a new version of the same manual sent to us and we want to just recall the tab settings/placement/text. We don't want to save the whole project, just the tab settings.

DigiCorn

If you find a way, let me know!

This came up just this morning. There are several options...
     Create the tabs in InDesign, send to CWS, program, process and archive - then manually insert later (slip sheet the jobs)
     Create the tabs in CWS, but this needs to be done with each job imported
     Create the tabs however and import to CWS, program, process and archive. Using the impose feature (you have to have the dongle) import the tabs to the new file. You have to keep a record of where they need to go. I usually keep a .txt file with the job.

We have done it every which way.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

jwheeler

Thank you DigiCorn...we have tried all of those methods as well. We have a text document with instructions similar to yours as well. We only have this problem when doing color prints because of the Fiery. Our b/w machines are all Konica Minolta 1250's and those have the easiest tab feature, which does allow you to save the settings to be used for the future. We are thinking when we upgrade our color press that we'll just get the KM controller on it instead of the Fiery. We don't have a big call for Impose/compose outside of tabs, and the KM's now have a Queue just like CWS. We still have an Oki with a Fiery in case we do need to use impose compose, and we can just save it as a flattened PDF instead of the default dbp file.