News:

Main Menu

Acrobat Security

Started by DigiCorn, September 19, 2019, 01:20:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigiCorn

I know the traditional way to encrypt a PDF with password, restrict/low res printing, etc., but I have a twist...

Is there a way to write a PDF directly from ID/Illy/PS to encrypt it with predetermined security in 1-step? I know I can make a .ps file and drop it on the Distiller and have it encoded with security, but it's still 2 steps (make the ps and distill it). Trying to minimize the effort here...
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

David

Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Possum

You can record actions in PS and Illy to do this. That's what I do in Illy. It saves it as a PDF with our usual password and proof settings and all that and closes the file. In Button Mode in the Actions palette, after that it's tap the button. I haven't done it in PS but I know you can. ID, I don't know.
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

DigiCorn

Der!  :shoots_self:

I never thought to check there. Security DOES NOT show up as an option when using the Define-->Edit dropdown. It only shows up when you're using a pre-defined pdf output option.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

David

but you can take a pre-defined setting and then when you export a file using that setting, the security options will be there, you can set it up and then "save" that modified setting and it will keep the security settings.

Just tried it
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

DigiCorn

yup. you still have to type in a password and then confirm that password each and every time. oh well.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

Possum

If you set it up as an Action in PS or Illy, you don't have to do that. It does everything in one swell foop. I've been doing our proofs that way for years.

InDesign, well... I use a hot folder in Distiller I set up for that.
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.