FontNuke Alternatives

Started by Slappy, October 28, 2019, 10:14:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slappy

Iv'e used Fontnuke for yeaaaaaars to clear Font caches whenever things bet a little squirrely but it's not really supported in Mojave (or later I'd assume) so looking for something else.

Any prefs out there? Is it an option buried in Onyx some place?
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

scottrsimons

Yes, it is in Onyx. Not really buried, but if you weren't looking for it, you probably wouldn't see it. It's right under the "Maintenance" tab.
"Your superior intellect is no match for our puny weapons!" - Homer J. Simpson

Tracy

Onyx is a mystery to me, is it ok to run it with all the default selected items?
is there anything to be wary of?
It always say it can take awhile, how long is this?
need someone to hold my hand please!  :laugh:

Joe

It can take anywhere from 5 minutes to 30 minutes depending on what all it does. With the default settings I think it usually takes about 10 minutes for me. It does close all open applications and it does have to reboot the Mac after it runs so do it when that is OK.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Joe

Just to add I've never had any issues running the default settings but anything can happen at anytime.

scottrsimons

Onyx is basically running the Macs own maintenance scripts, but at a time you tell it. And it will clear out caches, which is always a good thing to do from time to time. Just be aware when you, some settings might be a bit different afterwards, but it will be for the better, and they are pretty easy to reset to what you had. Might not be easy to remember where those settings are located at to reset them.  :popcorn:

The biggest issue, is making sure you are running the correct version of Onyx for your OS, as they do have specific ones for each OS. And Onyx does update the utility quite often.
"Your superior intellect is no match for our puny weapons!" - Homer J. Simpson

Tracy

Thanks Guys! gonna try it!
Pretty sure I have the right version!
Thanks for the heads up!

Tracy

That went well! just did the maintenance tab
you guys do the other tabs as well?

Joe

You may want to check out the Parameters tab. It has some hidden settings for things you might want to change. Like under "Appearance" there is the normal Light and Dark mode but there is also an "intermediate" setting  you can try (in Mojave only). Under login you change the background image at the lock screen. Some other neat settings too.

Tracy

Slappy

Quote from: scottrsimons on October 28, 2019, 12:08:44 PM
Onyx is basically running the Macs own maintenance scripts, but at a time you tell it. And it will clear out caches, which is always a good thing to do from time to time. Just be aware when you, some settings might be a bit different afterwards, but it will be for the better, and they are pretty easy to reset to what you had. Might not be easy to remember where those settings are located at to reset them.
I know the first time I ran the "basic" set, a LOT of my dock icons had reverted to a generic looking Application icon, until I ran each one again. Weird.

Quote from: scottrsimons on October 28, 2019, 10:20:11 AM
Yes, it is in Onyx. Not really buried, but if you weren't looking for it, you probably wouldn't see it. It's right under the "Maintenance" tab.
Ahhhhh, yes! Thx, I think I'll ditch FontNuke. It takes a stupid long time to even gather all the font cache info anyway.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.