Recent

Author Topic: CRON Platesetters  (Read 843 times)

Offline Slappy

• Ninja Member
  • Come On. Fhqwhgads.
CRON Platesetters
« on: November 11, 2019, 10:33:09 PM »
Looking to replace an increasingly moody Screen 4300 (single feed) unit, the powers that be recently saw CRON at the Texas print show, and are looking at one of their auto-feed models. I'm unfamiliar with the brand, apparently it's well established in Asia and they've partnered with ECRM to get into the US market.

I've got some literature and of course the glowing sales pitch but really want some real-world input. I've asked at the Other Forum too, and I have an email out to a shop in TX that has one but haven't heard back just yet.
A little diddie ‘bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin’ the best they can.

Offline Slappy

• Ninja Member
  • Come On. Fhqwhgads.
Re: CRON Platesetters
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2019, 08:52:34 PM »
Contract signed, parts have started arriving. I did talk to the one existing user who's had one for about 6 month & they seem pretty satisfied. They're running UV plates, so can't compare there but the hardware sounds resilient, I'm not thrilled about having a processor again (current Screen model uses process-free plates) but the automation will be a huge help. Plus the single-feed Screen 4300 we have now is just killing us with downtime.

I'll reply back once we get to install stage and start calibration etc.
A little diddie ‘bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin’ the best they can.

Offline Joe

• Master of Nothing
  • Administrator
  • Ninja Warlord
    • B4Print.com
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2019, 09:53:36 PM »
Never heard of it. Hope it goes well.
Mac OS 10.14.6 Mojave | Prinergy 8.2 | Adobe Creative Cloud 2019 | Two Luscher XPose 160 CTP units

Prepress: One who does precision guess work based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

Offline DCurry

• Ninja Member
  • The jerk store called, and they're out of you.
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2019, 11:25:52 AM »
I thought the use of process-free plates was more an issue of laser power than particular platesetter model? In other words, why can't the Cron run process-free plates?
Prinergy 8.1.1.286 • Preps 8 (Not a fan) • SmartStream Designer

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Offline Slappy

• Ninja Member
  • Come On. Fhqwhgads.
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2019, 01:36:24 PM »
It very well may be able to, the new COO possibly decided on "normal" plates to make them more easily measured, QC'd etc.

I'm not planning on being the Processor Cleaning Guy, soooooooo.  :hello:

Offline AaronH

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2019, 02:36:33 PM »
Lucky!

We're getting a new processor and crossover unit for our Javelin, both have been on the fritz for the last year or so and the processor can't keep conductivity stable anymore so we're finally getting approval to change them out.

Wish we could go process-free. We tried once, but the pressmen threw too much of a fit, that the owners decided to go backwards.
Mac & Windows | XMF | Fiery | Oris

Offline DCurry

• Ninja Member
  • The jerk store called, and they're out of you.
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2019, 11:51:40 AM »
Keeping the processor just means the pressmen have something they can point their finger at when they have problems on press.

And just because you're not planning on being the Processor Cleaning Guy doesn't mean it won't fall to you anyway! Let us know how that works out for you.
Prinergy 8.1.1.286 • Preps 8 (Not a fan) • SmartStream Designer

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Offline Slappy

• Ninja Member
  • Come On. Fhqwhgads.
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2019, 09:12:46 PM »
Yeah, I fully expect it'll be a Shared Experience.

Let us know how that works out for you.
Install is set for early January, gotta get a room assembled, plumbing etc. and I need to formulate the switchover in XMF, given that we kinda let our Maintenance Agreement lapse since we hadn't really used it and it's pretty $$$.