Looking into new File Server setup

Started by AaronH, November 15, 2019, 04:24:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AaronH

Hey guys,

I'm looking at trying to figure out a new file server system. Right now we have a LaCie 5Big NAS Pro 10 TB (6 TB usable in RAID). It gets backed up to a duplicate 5Big NAS Pro nightly (mirrored backup). It also gets copied to Code42's Crash Plan for small business. Since it's a NAS device running it's own software and trying to monkey around with it, I get the feeling it was more for home storage or small one man shops without a complicated user directory and multiple share points. Granted it says it can handle 200 users and multiple shares, computers don't typically like to connect to both share points at the same time (we only have two shares on it - office and prepress).

Anyway, the backup NAS has started to show failure in the actual device, not the storage and won't wake up on a schedule. I have to turn it on manually. The main NAS has had several HDD's fail and replaced already.

What are some simple but effective storage solutions you guys have at your shops? I'm trying to put together a plan to present to the owners.

My initial thought, is use an existing 2014 model Mac mini, have one raid storage unit attached to it via usb and a duplicate raid storage unit also attached via usb for backups, then crash plan the main unit. Then have the Mac handle the network sharing and user management.

Thoughts?
Mac & Windows | XMF | Fiery | Oris

Joe

If you are going to go with a Mac Mini be sure to put an OS X server version on it if you plan to use it as a file server. Check out macsales.com for Mac storage solutions. You can even call them and talk to them and tell them what you need and they will do everything they can to help you out. A+ service from them. And they are good.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.