Buying a new Windows laptop

Started by DigiCorn, July 18, 2012, 10:46:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigiCorn

I'm not a laptop guy. Don't like 'em. I got one for my wife when she was in school, and now it's basically just lying around.

Our accountant is asking me for laptop recommendations, and I told her to get as much RAM as she could, an SSD hard drive (if they make one, and if it's affordable) and get at least an i5 or better Intel (skip AMD - they don't seem to perform as well in laptops).

She will be using it for MS Office and Quick Books exclusively. Her only requirements are that she wants a fingerprint scanner and a backlit keyboard. She priced one from Dell, and it came back with a quote of $1,800, which i think is outrageous. I found several other Dell, HP and Acer models (without the fingerprint scanner and backlit keyboard) in the $750 range with more RAM, blu-ray and a larger hard drive. The Sony model was more, at $1,400.

I guess my questions are:

What is the difference in the construction of the cheap laptops versus the expensive ones?

Why the huge disparity in pricing (do the backlit keyboard and fingerprint scanner really warrant the extra cost? are they that expensive?)?

Is there one brand that's really better? (I hear good things about the new Samsung and Toshiba models)

Which one would you get?
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

Quote from: DigiCorn on July 18, 2012, 10:46:25 AMI'm not a laptop guy. Don't like 'em. I got one for my wife when she was in school, and now it's basically just lying around.

Our accountant is asking me for laptop recommendations, and I told her to get as much RAM as she could, an SSD hard drive (if they make one, and if it's affordable) and get at least an i5 or better Intel (skip AMD - they don't seem to perform as well in laptops).

She will be using it for MS Office and Quick Books exclusively. Her only requirements are that she wants a fingerprint scanner and a backlit keyboard. She priced one from Dell, and it came back with a quote of $1,800, which i think is outrageous. I found several other Dell, HP and Acer models (without the fingerprint scanner and backlit keyboard) in the $750 range with more RAM, blu-ray and a larger hard drive. The Sony model was more, at $1,400.

I guess my questions are:

What is the difference in the construction of the cheap laptops versus the expensive ones?

Why the huge disparity in pricing (do the backlit keyboard and fingerprint scanner really warrant the extra cost? are they that expensive?)?

Is there one brand that's really better? (I hear good things about the new Samsung and Toshiba models)

Which one would you get?

A Macbook Pro. :tongue:

The more crap they have to cram into a tiny space the more it will cost. She could save some bucks by getting a USB fingerprint scanner. I would think almost all laptops have a backlit keyboard but I suppose some cheap ones might not.

I hate all name brand computers because of all of the trialware, adware, crapware shit they put on it but it is not easy to build your own laptop. Any of the name brand ones will work. The ones that are more expensive are more expensive for a reason though. Compare the specs and you should see why they cost more.

And yes, they have SSD's for laptops. In fact, most SSD's have a 2.5" form factor which is what a laptop uses. It will raise the price though.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Farabomb

Very few laptop PCs have backlit keyboards that I have seen but I also haven't looked in about a year. Depends on what they want to do with it. Most people do fine with a "cheap one" but I'd stick to known brands.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

David

for me, if it doesn't have the backlit keyboard, I just can't work...
it's just all too dark, and well, just unlit.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Farabomb

My big laptop has the WORST keyboard. You can only see the keys with bright, direct overhead light. Anything other then that and you can't see anything.

So I got a backlit keyboard...

Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

David

I need me one of them there backlit mouses..

and a ashtray...

yep, just a mouse and this ashtray...
and this chair..
just the mouse, ashtray and this chair...
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Joe

Quote from: Farabomb on July 18, 2012, 11:50:51 AMVery few laptop PCs have backlit keyboards that I have seen but I also haven't looked in about a year. Depends on what they want to do with it. Most people do fine with a "cheap one" but I'd stick to known brands.

Really? I had an el cheapo HP a while back that had a backlit keyboard. I just assumed if it had it that most of the others did.

Personally if it was between a good tablet and a laptop I would go for the tablet. I really don't like using a trackpad on a laptop.

Farabomb

I might have to agree with you, that's why I was looking at the ASUS transformer but the nexus 7 is drawing my eye as well.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

DigiCorn

Again, not for me.

Our accountant is freelance and goes from office to office with her craft. She needs a portable device that can run full versions of Office Suite and Quickbooks and needs to be able to hook up to a local network to print out checks and stuff. She's an older lady, and not tech saavy. A tablet won't work for her, nor will a Mac.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

Quote from: DigiCorn on July 18, 2012, 01:08:00 PMAgain, not for me.

Our accountant is freelance and goes from office to office with her craft. She needs a portable device that can run full versions of Office Suite and Quickbooks and needs to be able to hook up to a local network to print out checks and stuff. She's an older lady, and not tech saavy. A tablet won't work for her, nor will a Mac.

Macs can do all of that. It is 2012 ya know. And for the "not tech saavy" it's the best way to go.

Joe

Quote from: Farabomb on July 18, 2012, 12:48:36 PMI might have to agree with you, that's why I was looking at the ASUS transformer but the nexus 7 is drawing my eye as well.

That Nexus 7 would be great if it weren't for the 7" screen. They should offer a 9.7" to 10.1" model as well but I guess they are trying to compte with the Kindle Fire and the Nook instead of the iPad.

Farabomb

Umm if she's not tech savy wouldn't a Mac be perfect? It's a OS a drunk can use.

Joe, yea I'd like a bigger screen but the price is good.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

mwc

Quickbooks for PC and Mac are different products, with different feature sets and cross-platform use is a joke.  If she uses QB for PC already, stay away from Mac  (AccountEdge by Acclivity is a great mac/pc product BTW).
Fingerprint Scanners are easily beat if someone cuts off your fingertips, then soaks them in milk and toner...used to happen all the time around here, till the boss got sick of replacing the band-aids in the shop medical kit.
for a pc laptop, i like ASUS... 'cause it's fun to say....how's your ASUS today? problems with you ASUS? KissMy..:kissass:

DigiCorn

Quote from: mwc on July 19, 2012, 01:37:19 PM...i like ASUS... 'cause it's fun to say....how's your ASUS today? problems with you ASUS? KissMy..:kissass:
There's a big red truck in Mianus (, CT)
Jackass Mianus
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

Greg_Firestone

Supposedly the "business" models uses higher quality parts. I believe the life-cycle is also longer which can be important for companies which want to have a similar model.

At the end of the day, the support contract will be what is most important. We typically go with Dell at our office for PC's. If there is a problem, we usually have a technician on site within 24-48 hours with new parts. We don't utilize their phone support that much, mostly hardware support.

From a cost standpoint, a PC will be much less expensive.

Greg