2 days of Preps 6.1 training

Started by t-pat, November 19, 2010, 10:11:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

t-pat

On my 2nd day of Preps 6 training, without this training one would take a very very long time to understand what they've done with this app.

It's really good. Even better than I thought. But, so much more complicated. It really needs someone to take a week to set things up for your situation.

JDF folding patterns are sweet, the product and part assembly makes a ton of sense once you see what it does.

Lots of new goodies for web guys in there too.
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

Stiv

Consider yourself very lucky that you work at a company that values training employees.

Joe

I wish I had some training in it. I know there has a to be a reason they did what they did.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

t-pat

Quote from: Stiv on November 19, 2010, 11:33:40 AMConsider yourself very lucky that you work at a company that values training employees.

I do, and I consider myself lucky about the ridiculously expensive new mac, but on a realistic note, it's not helping me pay my mortgage and I'd value right now some extra money on my check. :embarrassed:

I'll share the training guide and answer any questions people may have, though.

What's funny is that even though we've planned this training for a month, people are still freaking out that there's only one person in prepress most of the day and he doesn't know preps at all, nor how to send plates. Panic mode by the salespeople.
vdp donkey

Syphon

Are you being trained at where you work?
The reason I'm asking is because where I work they can't afford for me to go off for training for a whole week. All my training on Preps include one afternoon basic training (at work) and one full day of online one on one training.
Freelance Designer | Illustrator | Photo Editor
iMac • Mac OSX 10.15 Catalina
Affinity Publisher • Affinity Photo • Affinity Designer
Adobe InDesign • Adobe Photoshop • Adobe Illustrator
Adobe Acrobat

frailer

Must admit, I was getting interested in it, before we leapt into Fuji XMF-world. It looked pretty good, a bit like Dynastrip on super-steroids; and I'm being complimentary.
XMF has some similar features, particularly the drag-around impo windows. There seem to be some interesting vids here too.
Good luck with it. Can't hurt getting up to speed on it. Any new skills in pp these days are precious.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Adriano

Quote from: frailer on November 20, 2010, 12:57:31 AMMust admit, I was getting interested in it, before we leapt into Fuji XMF-world. It looked pretty good, a bit like Dynastrip on super-steroids; and I'm being complimentary.
XMF has some similar features, particularly the drag-around impo windows. There seem to be some interesting vids here too.
Good luck with it. Can't hurt getting up to speed on it. Any new skills in pp these days are precious.

Thank you Frailer
I was looking for these on ecentral and i couldn't find them
We are updating as we speak
Training will come shortly (so they said)
Still not drinking. Never been better

frailer

Quote from: Adriano on November 21, 2010, 08:40:07 PMI was looking for these on ecentral and i couldn't find them
We are updating as we speak
Training will come shortly (so they said)

eCentral is like Dungeons & Dragons.   :shocked:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

t-pat

Quote from: Syphon on November 19, 2010, 04:32:55 PMAre you being trained at where you work?
The reason I'm asking is because where I work they can't afford for me to go off for training for a whole week. All my training on Preps include one afternoon basic training (at work) and one full day of online one on one training.

2 full days (about 6 hours maybe each day) of online training. Was supposed to be 1 seat but 3 of us sat in. Went back to our desks during breaks in the training and played catch-up, it wasn't too bad since we've been kinda slow lately.
vdp donkey

Stiv

I have been trying to read up on Preps 6, I have 5.whatever now. I am also using Rampage 10.6. We do not use JDF now and probably won't anytime soon.

The documentation indicates that Preps 6 is strictly PDF based. (Well, that is going to require a 180 degree turn from what we do now, albeit for the better.) I am assuming that it outputs an imposed PDF, am I correct? How is this PDF made? Is Distiller built in or does it use another device? If it doesn't output an imposed PDF what is it?

The documentation also indicates that templates are handled differently and are stored as jobs? I have thousands of templates. Would I then store blank or empty run list jobs instead of templates? Or would I have a standard 16 page and just modify it on a per job basis to adjust head trims and/or gutters?

edited for typo.

Joe

Stiv, Preps 6 is more geared towards folding patterns than templates but you can still use your existing templates. You can still "print" to a device from Preps 6 just like with 5 or you can save an imposed .pdf, .pjtf (Adobe Job Ticket), or .jdf. There are now separate "Stocks" that you setup for your sheet size instead of that info being stored in the device. We use Prinergy so we use an unpopulated run list and Prinergy replaces the blanks with our refined PDFs. Not sure how another work flow would handle that though.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Syphon

I viewed the videos and really like the Preps 6 step and repeat feature.
But I too have lots of questions. I wish Kodak would release more details.
Freelance Designer | Illustrator | Photo Editor
iMac • Mac OSX 10.15 Catalina
Affinity Publisher • Affinity Photo • Affinity Designer
Adobe InDesign • Adobe Photoshop • Adobe Illustrator
Adobe Acrobat

t-pat

BUGS!

Stupid thing needs you to change your preferences on binding and work style for certain things to not completely explode, like turning 64 pg sigs into 62 pg sigs.

I'll be looking forward to 6.2, 6.1 is great for flat work but the multipart products while on the surface is fantastic, it works for shit unless you go and change prefs first.
vdp donkey

frailer

Not much consolation, I guess, but XMF has its share, too.  New work procedure, though. Assess job. Note binding style. Open PREPS 6. Command+comma. set. Proceed with job.

(nobody likes a clever-dick, right?).   :embarrassed:

t-pat

we hit this bug in training too, it is dumb. Then I took a week off over Thanksgiving and forgot some stuff. Crap. I need this to work since there's a real aversion to anyone providing us with layouts or folding dummies and the folding pattern libraries are probably more accurate than what someone cooks up here.
vdp donkey